free website stats program cant find neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

cant find neutral

dangerdan

Problems finding neutral .

If I shut down for 10 minutes - neutral is easy to find.
I am using royal purple gear lube.

What I have done so far.
1)The transmission level is correct.
2)Wire from neutral switch to dash light not broken.
3)The neutral switch was replaced yesterday and I tested it b4 installing.
4)Re adjusted clutch cable as per Glider instruction. 1/16 - 1/ 8 slack at clutch lever.
5)Found 2 posts in electrical self help....Found nothing to help
6)Found 1 post in transmission self help by TQuentin1 - Neutral light not coming on when bike/tranny hot ...tried that
7)Went thru 6 pages using HD talking search engine. Found nothing to help
8)Went thru all the Tech Tips and Instructions . Found nothing to help

What can I adjust or replace under the tranny cover that holds the neutral switch ?
Could the foot control linkage to the tranny be out of adjustment ?

I just spent $3,000 to get this bike certified and any help would be appreciated.

by "finding" neutral do you mean you can't get the transmission into neutral, your indicator light won't come on.?

Good question !!

I'm not sure !!

I was using foot control and trying to get neutral light to come on.

Never really checked if tranny was in neutral or not as I just shut the bike off
in first gear .

I am taking for a spin right now ....will post later

Last edited:
4)Re adjusted clutch cable as per Glider instruction. 1/16 - 1/ 8 slack at clutch lever.
You did the cable but did you adjust the clutch itself under the derby cover?

The cable adjustment has nothing to do with the actual clutch adjustment, it's only cable lash.Improperly adjusted clutches will give you a problem getting it into neutral.

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

I just came back from my ride.. Still same problem but intermit. Difficult to find neutral, but once neutral is found the light comes on.
I have also noticed that clutch is not fully disengaged at times in first gear. Can feel a very slight forward lurch.

Glider I just read your post.
No, I did not check adjustment under the derby cover.. I read about the clutch adjustment, but at the time thought, what does the clutch adjustment have to due with finding neutral. I thought this was a tranny problem.

I have booked marked all 3 sites.

Easy Clutch Adjustment Method - Harley Davidson Community
Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community
Clutch Adjustment By The Book - Harley Davidson Community

I wont have time to look at this problem till next week .

Thanks to all who responded.

Dan

Dan
The clutch adjustment (under the derby cover) is most critical when a problem like you are having here is in question.
Without the proper/complete separation of the plates, neutral becomes something that used to be between first and second but try to get it in there.:s

You are mainly interested in getting the friction zone out away from the grip as opposed to close to it if you use the easy method and it should only be done on a cold engine.

Glider is dead on with his diagnosis. the easy methods of clutch adjustment is so easy and simple to do it won't take long at all and will actually prolong your clutch life.

Good luck

Bubba

Its raining today so I had some time to adjust the clutch.

Just a lttle fuzzy about the highlite in red on clutch adjustment .

3)Turn the pushrod adjuster bolt in while holding the lever against the bar lightly until it starts to force the lever away for some distance. (Do this more than once to get the feel). While keeping light pressure on the lever back the adjuster bolt out just until the lever touches the bar again and then another little bit, about 1/2 turn , then lock it.

Does this mean to turn the adjuster bolt out another 1/2 turn ?

If this is correct then I have finished the adjustment.
The pushrod adjuster bolt now moves .085 inches out when the clutch lever is fully engaged.

Yep, that's what it means Dan. You are turning the adjuster OUT about 1/2 turn after you have brought the clutch handle in to the bar.

Back