free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

I think that the belt is fine as far as the tension goes. The dealer had the rear tire off maybe 5000 miles ago for new rubber so it was adjusted then. What's the best way to clean the belt and pulleys? Does the inner primary have to come off? Thanks for your tips!!

Does the chirping happen all day long? More after it has rained? If so the tension on the belt and or dirty belt comes to mind, you can jack up the back end, in neutral use an old soft tooth brush and mild dish soap and water scrub the belt and watch for nicks and wear on the pulleys

Does the chirping happen all day long? More after it has rained? If so the tension on the belt and or dirty belt comes to mind, you can jack up the back end, in neutral use an old soft tooth brush and mild dish soap and water scrub the belt and watch for nicks and wear on the pulleys

Does it all the time. Hot, cold, wet, dry, doesn't seem to matter. Quality of the sound doesn't seem to change. It's extremely bothersome. Ear plugs make it better...:)My theory is that it makes sense to be something external or superficial as opposed to something internal (piston, lifter, etc) because when you ease off the throttle it stops. Can't hear it at all. With the slightest twist of the throttle and the smallest amount or torque it returns. I will definitely raise her and clean the belt and rear pulley. Thanks very much for the suggestions. Can't wait to figure this out!

Does it do it sitting still? Clutch in or out matter?

Makes sense. .. I'm pulling the exhaust first chance I get.... thanks!
WAP.gif

So if you accelerate (rev it up) while it's sitting you don't hear the chirp? If so it's probably not a head gasket. But it sure does make a high pitched chirping sound if it is a head gasket!

Check the torque on the exhaust flanges. Then take a leather glove and wrap around the exhaust flange hard. Blip the throttle to try to duplicate the sound. Do you have the chirping? No? Remove the glove and do it again... Got noise? Got an exhaust leak.

Check the torque on the exhaust flanges. Then take a leather glove and wrap around the exhaust flange hard. Blip the throttle to try to duplicate the sound. Do you have the chirping? No? Remove the glove and do it again... Got noise? Got an exhaust leak.

Here's my latest impression of my nemesis.....The exhaust flange bolts were fairly loose, front and rear. I snugged them all down. I was hopeful...but, no appreciable difference in the chirp. Of course I guess the gasket (s) could be bad. I spent a good deal of time just listening. I believe now that I do hear it at idle but it's faint. It is in synch with the rpms...It is much more pronounced under load. I think (today anyway) that the noise is concentrated at the front of the motor close to the center of the frame underneath the oil filter. I see a good sized nut there. Is that a motor mount fastener? I don't think that I'm at all familiar at all with motor mount bolt locations. I'll research but another thing to rule out. I really appreciate you guys and your knowledge. This is 80 bucks an hr at the dealer....who by the way suggests to drop the exhaust and look for evidence of a problematic valve guide....

Here's my latest impression of my nemesis.....The exhaust flange bolts were fairly loose, front and rear. I snugged them all down. I was hopeful...but, no appreciable difference in the chirp. Of course I guess the gasket (s) could be bad. I spent a good deal of time just listening. I believe now that I do hear it at idle but it's faint. It is in synch with the rpms...It is much more pronounced under load. I think (today anyway) that the noise is concentrated at the front of the motor close to the center of the frame underneath the oil filter. I see a good sized nut there. Is that a motor mount fastener? I don't think that I'm at all familiar at all with motor mount bolt locations. I'll research but another thing to rule out. I really appreciate you guys and your knowledge. This is 80 bucks an hr at the dealer....who by the way suggests to drop the exhaust and look for evidence of a problematic valve guide....

Not a bad call... I'd pop off the top cover and listen and look... any gaulling of the valve could be seen there also...AND you could have it running. IF the noise IS there on the exhaust valve,,,,,Spray it with a lube and see if it quiets... You may JUST have a top end lube problem...

At Least it is the easier cover to remove than the DREADED back one...:s

signed....BUBBIE

Mine started to chirp one time when I first started it up, got quiet when it warmed up. Found it when I washed my Ultra, when I started it, it spit water around the rear cylinders head gasket. After I saw the water mist I put my hand there & you could feel the air. Showed my wife, had her put her hand there & it spit out oil, she was not happy. It never did that when I did it. Good luck

Toby

Back