free website stats program Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't Find Chirping Cricket -Like Noise 09 RKC

Hello to all...hope you can help me figure out this maddening noise on my 09 Road King Classic. Has the Screamin Eagle 103 Upgrade, about 47K. I've had it since 16K, ridden from Alabama to British Columbia, West Coast, etc. Been a great bike. Just recently she started with a sound that is most like a chirp from a cricket. It seems to be impossible to pinpoint where it's coming from. First I thought the primary, perhaps from the front end, no, maybe the right side....you get the picture. The dealer couldn't help. Their best recommendation was the Compensator but he admitted that he wasn't sure. It does it cold or hot and only when it's under a load. The noise stops when I release the throttle and is back with the slightest twist of the wrist. I installed the new SE Compensator kit, replaced the rubber bushings in the exhaust brackets, have checked every fastener that I can think of. The drive belt is within specs...I did check the forums here before this post. I know that noises can be unique but I hope that with these symptoms someone can point me in the way I need to go next. Thanks in advance!
I have a little chirp and its coming from the shifter. Mine has a rubber spacer on it and after driving through a couple of rains, it chirps a little. Hope this helps.

Clean the belt and drive pulleys, check the belt adjustment

My RK was doing the same thing I found it was the belt. Cleaning the front drive sprocket stopped it.

Have to go inside the primary for that right? I just had the outer cover off changing the compensator....probably should have opened it up then...probably not ok to spray that drive belt with anything, is it...?

Clean the belt and drive pulleys, check the belt adjustment

I think that the belt is fine as far as the tension goes. The dealer had the rear tire off maybe 5000 miles ago for new rubber so it was adjusted then. What's the best way to clean the belt and pulleys? Does the inner primary have to come off? Thanks for your tips!!

Mine's a tad older but that cricket a almost made me start drinking. The mounts for the pipes under the bags caused one of my squeaks. The cover for the fork lock was another. My biggest cricket........ the saddlebag brackets. At the bottom, closest to the fender, look at the bar coming down where it meets the bar going under the bag. Both sides of mine had hairline cracks. Only chirped when we rode 2 up.

If possible, an car stethoscope for 5 bucks works wonders.

Good luck..

Thanks for the ideas...I'm thinking that one will hit sooner or later so I say thanks to everyone for your help. This is a great forum.All the welds on the saddlebag brackets look good as far as I can see. Those rubber bushings are new but I lubed them anyway for good measure. I'll check that cover...I have a stethoscope BTW...ain't helpin much

On my 09 FLHR, the windscreen (UK Talk):D was the noise... I removed the shield and lubed the rubber grommets with a little silicone spray... Holding on-to the shield while riding was the tell all....:s

check it out.

signed....BUBBIE

I ruled that out early. Rode without the windshield and the bags...I wish...Thanks!

I think that the belt is fine as far as the tension goes. The dealer had the rear tire off maybe 5000 miles ago for new rubber so it was adjusted then. What's the best way to clean the belt and pulleys? Does the inner primary have to come off? Thanks for your tips!!

Go to the hardware store get fittings to go from 1/4" tubing to a garden hose and a 2ft. piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing. Gently bend the tubing to go into the rear of the primary, jack up the rear wheel and squirt the pulley while rotating the wheel.
This worked for me

Okay! I haven't seen anyone ask if you have the front top engine stabilizer on your RK. I had chirping come from that little bugger. With it running, just put you hand on it and see it it changes your chirping. Good luck! Steve

Okay! I haven't seen anyone ask if you have the front top engine stabilizer on your RK. I had chirping come from that little bugger. With it running, just put you hand on it and see it it changes your chirping. Good luck! Steve
I do have the stabilizer and I checked it...tight..thanks, good thought..I'm hoping that a cleaning of the belt and drive pulleys will do it...that seems to make sense for some reason. I'll keep you guys posted...
WAP.gif

Back