free website stats program Can't fill fuel tanks past half full | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't fill fuel tanks past half full

wagsgsj

I just bought a 1992 Harley FXSTC Softail Custom. It's got the two tanks connected by crossover links at the top and bottom of the tanks. I can only get one tank to fill with gas. Once there, the gas doesn't seem to travel through the crossover links to level off with the other tank. I have complete removed both tanks to check them and the crossover lines for blockages and debris. They are all clean. Lastly, there are screw on caps on both tanks. Only one can be removed because the racheting cap is backwards to the threads in the tank. Please help me with any suggestions for how to resolve the half full issue?

Not quite sure what you are saying about the caps but yes the one on the left is an opposite thread and unscrews in the opposite direction than the one on the right so you can fill them both when you gas up.

When I try to unscrew one of the caps, the cap "clicks" and slips as if the cap is over tight. If I turn the cap the other direction, I can feel the cap screw further into the tank. Do you think I need to get that cap off so that I can access that half of the tank? I think I may need to trash the cap to do it, but if that's what it needs, that's what I'll do.

the cap on the left should unscrew clockwise, the one on the right counter clockwise.

Thanks for the responses so far, but let me try to rephrase my original question. Any ideas why the gas doesn't transfer from one tank to the other through the bottom crossover line while at the same time the air is transferring through the top crossover line? There are no clogs in the system.

I am not up on all of this new fangal stuff but if your gas tanks are two piece then they are like the old sytle. The left gas cap is a non vented cap. When gasing up you fill the left one up first and put the cap on. Then you fill up the right side and replace the cap. The non vented cap keeps the left side from over flowing but allows enough gas to drain over to keep the gas flow to the engine going. Fossil

Thanks for all the advice. I dug the old cap out on the left side and replaced it with one that would unscrew properly. Problem solved.

Back