free website stats program Can't decide on oil. | Harley Davidson Forums

Can't decide on oil.

Due for another oil change and I want to try a different oil. Not happy with the syn3. Thinking redline. Looking for something to run a little cooler then syn3. I tend to run into traffic to and from work and I hate getting in parade mode. Local mechanic recommends Lucas synthetic oil. From his testing it runs about 8 degrees cooler then syn3. Which he says makes a big diffence. This isn't another oil poll, plenty of them. I've read all of them but still can't decide. Just looking for true hard evidence of testing and experience.

I would recommend Spectro Platinum full synthetic 20-50 and add an oil cooler. Problem solved.

doctordoug, good post and advice...

Looking at oil for the engine, I'd rather use Redline 20/50 OR 20/60 V-twin bottled :newsmile093: and do the Oil Cooler..

Redline is a # 5 on the list of PAO's as most are a 3-4's...

5 being the Highest (best polymers used) good stuff. I think it is the only one that ranks this high.(think? might be wrong?).... a full synthetic is the best in cooling OR taking the heat The Red IS the best.:D IMHO

signed....BUBBIE

Redline it is. I'd like to use redline products in all 3 holes. And oil cooler is next on the list. Thanks guys

Talking to Dave their Redline tech.

I would use the MTL in the primary
They offer a V-twin which is the same as MTL but the label, about the only change...and $ for it

also the Shockproof Heavy is labeled and named differently now..BUT all the same product...

The V-twin labeled 20/50 or 20/60 engine oil product Does Have a little more anti wear in there for the Hard running V-twin.. But I buy their Fine 20/50 Premium product and have for years and NEVER had an issue....

Good choices you are making..:D

I sell a lot of redline and I'm UN-Paid for my service from Red. But the satisfaction of Knowing "YOU" get the best for your bike as I do..

That's My reward.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I run Lucas Motorcycle Oil in my bike and I love it. I have noticed that the bike does run a bit cooler (IMO) than others I have used in the past.

Take a look at the Lucas straight 50wt synthetic oil. Pours easy, is not thick as one would think. Its made specificately for air-cooled V-Twin engines.
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
Now you sound like my Doctor.......less caffine, lose weight, get moving more...argh.
I'll just keep changing my oil.....maybe I'll fall asleep by bike.
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYBODY!!!!!
wilks3
:USA :USA :USA

Back