Can't decide on oil.

Discussion in 'Oil' started by Streetglider08, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Streetglider08

Streetglider08 Member

Due for another oil change and I want to try a different oil. Not happy with the syn3. Thinking redline. Looking for something to run a little cooler then syn3. I tend to run into traffic to and from work and I hate getting in parade mode. Local mechanic recommends Lucas synthetic oil. From his testing it runs about 8 degrees cooler then syn3. Which he says makes a big diffence. This isn't another oil poll, plenty of them. I've read all of them but still can't decide. Just looking for true hard evidence of testing and experience.

2. doctordoug

doctordoug Account Removed

I would recommend Spectro Platinum full synthetic 20-50 and add an oil cooler. Problem solved.

3. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

doctordoug, good post and advice...

Looking at oil for the engine, I'd rather use Redline 20/50 OR 20/60 V-twin bottled :newsmile093: and do the Oil Cooler..

Redline is a # 5 on the list of PAO's as most are a 3-4's...

5 being the Highest (best polymers used) good stuff. I think it is the only one that ranks this high.(think? might be wrong?).... a full synthetic is the best in cooling OR taking the heat The Red IS the best.:D IMHO

signed....BUBBIE

4. Streetglider08

Streetglider08 Member

Redline it is. I'd like to use redline products in all 3 holes. And oil cooler is next on the list. Thanks guys

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

Talking to Dave their Redline tech.

I would use the MTL in the primary
    They offer a V-twin which is the same as MTL but the label, about the only change...and $ for it

also the Shockproof Heavy is labeled and named differently now..BUT all the same product...

The V-twin labeled 20/50 or 20/60 engine oil product Does Have a little more anti wear in there for the Hard running V-twin.. But I buy their Fine 20/50 Premium product and have for years and NEVER had an issue....

Good choices you are making..:D

I sell a lot of redline and I'm UN-Paid for my service from Red. But the satisfaction of Knowing "YOU" get the best for your bike as I do..

That's My reward.:D

signed....BUBBIE

6. PigFarmer

PigFarmer New Member

I run Lucas Motorcycle Oil in my bike and I love it. I have noticed that the bike does run a bit cooler (IMO) than others I have used in the past.

7. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

Take a look at the Lucas straight 50wt synthetic oil. Pours easy, is not thick as one would think. Its made specificately for air-cooled V-Twin engines.
    wilks3
    :USA

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  8. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

:guitar Good Call Smitty,........ :small3d035:

signed....BUBBIE

9. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

But smitty, what if I'm not sleeping well, have I picked the wrong oil???? LOL :D
    wilks3
    :USA

10. wilks3

wilks3 Junior Member

Now you sound like my Doctor.......less caffine, lose weight, get moving more...argh.
    I'll just keep changing my oil.....maybe I'll fall asleep by bike.
    HAPPY 4TH OF JULY EVERYBODY!!!!!
    wilks3
    :USA :USA :USA