free website stats program cannont find neutral, fully warmed up | Harley Davidson Forums

cannont find neutral, fully warmed up

police king

Hi all, I have a 2001 police road king with 32,000 on it. The problem I am having is this. When the bike is cold, i.e. just started it up for the day/been sitting for a long time, I can find n. with no problem and it shifts up and down great. When the bike is hot, it will not go into n. without a quick rev on the throttle. also with this issue, I have a hard as (EDITED) time down shifting (not as easy as when its cold). little more fyi, this is a new clutch as of about 12,000 ago. I do alot of police moves so I'm in the friction zone ALOT. I have tried several times to adjust the clutch (cold and hot) and still the same, also the primary chain is set loose. Am I just at the point to where a new clutch is the only option? (I also replaced the steels with an old set I had lying around)
Thanks All.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the reply,,well properly, thats the great debate. I read all your articles, watched the videos, read reread the book, still not totally clear.
slight resistance,(feel) thats what I thought I was doing. as i am turning in the adjuster screw, i'm wantching the plate touch the snap ring, and feeling the lever. I am turning it in, and backing it out till there is no free play in the clutch lever i.e i can squeeze in the lever and nothing happenes. if i try another way, I have a little pull in the lever, like and inch er two real close to the bars. the chain is set loose, and i am running amsoil 20 50 m/c oil in the primary (talked to amsoil and told them what i do with the bike, and they said 2050 would be best. ) I have been running 2050 in it for awhile now so I dont think its a problem.

oh also, if I didnt mention it before, I am running amsoil 2050 in the primary and the trans.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't got the problem fixed yet try this. I had a similar problem on a 95 Fat Boy could not find N, Had to shut the bike off to find it. I bought the bike used and the bike had a good lobe to it what I discovered was the previous owner set the idle too low. I brought it up to where is was suppose to be and presto everything worked fine. Since you say you have to give it some gas maybe you idle is set to low.

Back