free website stats program Can you do a "full locked turn"? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can you do a "full locked turn"?

You can pick it up yourself. you just have to know how, lol. I've dropped mine twice now and the last time I did pick it up by myself. 1. turn the bars all the way to the side of the bike that's facing up (i.e, all the way right if on it's left side or vice versa) 2. With your back to the bike, squat down and grasp the hand grip with one hand and the crash guard on the front of the saddlebag. 3. With your rear end against the seat, pull up hard while pushing your rear end against the seat with your feet in sort of a shuffling motion. The bike will rotate to upright. just make sure you don't overdo it and dump it on the other side. If it's on it's right side, just put the stand down and it'll tip right up onto the stand.

You can pick it up yourself. you just have to know how, lol. I've dropped mine twice now and the last time I did pick it up by myself. 1. turn the bars all the way to the side of the bike that's facing up (i.e, all the way right if on it's left side or vice versa) 2. With your back to the bike, squat down and grasp the hand grip with one hand and the crash guard on the front of the saddlebag. 3. With your rear end against the seat, pull up hard while pushing your rear end against the seat with your feet in sort of a shuffling motion. The bike will rotate to upright. just make sure you don't overdo it and dump it on the other side. If it's on it's right side, just put the stand down and it'll tip right up onto the stand.

Yep, same procedure for picking up an HD touring bike or a Goldwing. Just be sure to use your legs more than your arms. Of course, it's always easier if there is another person around. That's assuming, of course, that they aren't laughing too much. Most bikers don't laugh because they have all had to lift a heavy bike at one time or another with or without help.

I do something pretty close every time I pull into or out of our driveway. We live off this very narrow 2 lane road with no shoulders and deep ditches. Our driveway does a tight uphill u-turn off the road, then twists it's way up the hill to our house...when we first bought the place I would always come in from the other way, but now although I always take it show, I'm getting pretty good at it.

No one ever wants to meet up at my place, the few friends who have won't do it again. It's too bad becuase I make a mean chili and margarita and the view is spectacular :)

My state requires a 3 day class before you are certified for a motorcycle license (to bad they don't require the same for autos). Half the time is spent in a large parking lot learning maneuvers. We had to do figure eights in full lock in some pretty tight spaces. I think the most important thing was where you looked. If your head was turned looking towards the destination, the turn went much smoother than if you were watching just ahead of the front tire.

Happily we were using the schools bikes ;) I have not tried with my own.

===================================================
Dougs discription is very good. If you still need a little help, go to Youtube and type in something like "picking up motorcycle". There is several different video's to watch. Even a woman picking up a big bike. Worth watching all of them to get it right in your head.

You can do this manual lift exercise in your 2 car garage, just have both spaces open (have everything clear and out of the way) and lay down plenty of heavy terry beach towels and have your bike run down to little or no gas, turn the fuel petcock off and/or depressurize the EFI by pulling fuse or relay and running bike dry. Remove as much protruding items as possible so when you lay her on the folding pegs and then onto the engine guards nothing is damaged.

I know this is laying down your pride and joy, but this is in a controlled manner. When I first got my streetbike, I did this knowing that there would be a day I would need to know how. Bite the bullet and do it on your bike or something similar. And have your partner with you, if nothing else for moral support. You will find the best way as Doug09' outlined is lifting with your legs and straight back hand on bar and rear shock rail or grab bar...

Get the DVD from Ride Like A Pro

practice practice

Talk to your HD dealer they sometimes have an Advance Riders Course. Mine has it for $85 & if you complete it you get $50 in store credit. Took it a long time ago need to do the next one they offer. Their are others that offer Advance Classes, If you learn 1 thing it is worth it.

You can pick it up yourself. you just have to know how,...
1. turn the bars all the way to the side of the bike that's facing up (i.e, all the way right if on it's left side or vice versa) .

Um....
I'd llike to see that...
If the bike is on it's left side the bars should be in a left turn, not right turn.

Back