free website stats program Can you do a "full locked turn"? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can you do a "full locked turn"?

I don't know why you would want to learn this skill. I have never had any problem going really slow and don't think I have ever needed to turn that sharp without my feet down and really not moving.

I'm glad to see I'm not alone. You think it's hard on an Ultra? Try it on a Yamaha Royal Star Venture (my last bike)!!! That thing was like turnin a '61Cadillac. Great tips! Thanks!

I don't know why you would want to learn this skill. I have never had any problem going really slow and don't think I have ever needed to turn that sharp without my feet down and really not moving.

Keep that thought for a moment, now think of the last time you went to a busy gas station off the Interstate where dozens of pedestrians, cars and bikes are all scrambling trying to get near a pump that is on a crowned surface and there are several driveways in either direction so no line actually forms...you could tippy toe worrying about your footing in the oily antifreeze stained mess through all that...but your doing so is like a deer looking at headlights, distracted by the danger close up not what is bearing down on you! :52:

Or use your rider skills to watch out for the other guy pulling in front of you, and still do that tight turn with passenger on board without a thought...because your feet and hand controls were covered and in control! Trust your instinctive riding techniques and concentrate more on traffic "jamming" and assertive driving. If you have to think about the additional stress of doing a tight turn you are bound to lose focus on the big picture. Trust me, it gets better if you decide to ride it out, rather than give up and dab that foot down. :s

Last edited:
Smitty and NewHD74 said it best; to be in control with (earned) confidence in one’s ability, already knowing how the bike handles and responds. One more learned and practiced skill to have when needed, (tighter turns, obstacle avoidance) and that comes upon us without warning.

If I am 1 up I can make a U turn, most of the time, 2 up not so much. Most of it is confidence, I surely don't want to go down with the wife so I take more time. She has all the confidence in the world in me and is a the perfect passenger and i want to keep it that way! :D
I like this way of thinking :)

I am a new rider (relatively). I took the Riders Edge Course before I even started riding my ultra. I must have been lucky enough to have had good teachers (they were motor officers) because they taught me to do full locked turns right from the beginning. I learnd to do them on a Buell Blast, but found that using the principals I was taught, I could also do them on my ultra with very little problem. I don't do them often, but I'm comfortable with the maneuver if I need to.

Back