free website stats program Can you do a "full locked turn"? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can you do a "full locked turn"?

What PigSnot said. You jam the rear brake on and find the sweet spot on your clutch lever and use throttle. Ride upright and turn the bars to the lock.
I practiced that a bunch and before I took the California riding test they make you ride a keyhole as the performance part of the test. I did it on my old Heritage and had front wheel on the outside line and rear wheel on the inside line. I thought at one point I was going to have to put a foot down, but made it around the turn part and almost didn't get it straightened out for the straight exit section. I was sweating like crazy when I made it. I was even out of breath, probably from the adrenalin. I seldom have had to put my FXDB on the lock, because it turns so tight anyway. A Street Bob would be the way to go for that silly test.
If I ever had to do that test again, I don't know if I could. I still feel like it was luck to have made it.

Those are basic skills that everyone should learn. I rode for many years and then went thru Officer Motor School. I learned that I didn't ride as well as I thought I did. I learned how to do the locked turns and grind the floorboard turns and cone weaving. Also panic stops and so on. We did it over and over. You will drop the bike while you are learning. But you will learn to ride safer and learn how to pick the bike up.
You will learn not to put your feet down until the bike stops completly, and then drop your left foot and keep right one one the brake. Everyone should lean this. ride safe and practice these skill often or you will lose them. Ride safe and enjoy.

I too bought the Ride Like A Pro video. I watched the entire video several time before attempting the exercises. Myself and my riding buddy went to a large empty parking lot with some tennis ball halves and began to practice. A few hours later it all came together. Now every time I leave my house on the bike I take 5 minutes to practice at a nearby parking lot, using the painted lines on the asphalt as a guide. You will be able to make a U-Turn insde 2 parking spaces. You will not believe the amount of confidence you have in your everyday riding once you learn the techniques. (never mistake confidence for cockiness) My friend and I both ride Road Kings and can both make full lock turns. I have tried the techniques on a Sportster as well as my wifes Heritage Softail and they react the same as a heavy bike. Slowness is not the key, rear brake, friction zone, head and eyes up are where it's at. I am confident that if you watch the video and practice, you too can make full lock turns as well as all the other techniques taught on the video.

Happy trails.

I could do it on my heritage but can get close on the new ultra. Practice and lots of it. never never never use front brake during these slow turns.. :lero

I think, the key is to start off NOT at full lock.... RLaP starts you with a 24 ft circle, but you can start with as WIDE a circle as you need, as you learn the friction zone and FEATHERING the rear brake (do not jam/slam/stomp on the rear break), you'll tighten up the circle.
If it will make you feel better? get some "pipe insulation" and wrap your various guard bars, that will protect your chrome, and bike, in case you tip over.
Another parking lot tip would be to remove anything, from your tour pack.to prevent load shifts while you practice.

Me??? I can do a full lock from a start 85% of the time, unless my brain get's "active" then I screw up. Haven't kept the bike at FULL lock in the circle (with the Road Glide) but I'm getting closer.
I have however riden the figure 8 with 3 other bikes.... and believe or not, I think it's easier than solo

I have found ::: example:: tight left turn... I shift my bottom and lean out to the right... I use my counter weight to make corrections needed for balance THEN go for the LOCK POSITION... If i don't shift my weight to the right I can't do the left lock (or right opposite) .....

all of the eye,rear break feathering,speed control and NOT putting left (right) foot down... KEYS are ( eyes,speed, clutch,rear brake feathering and leaning weight) works for me... almost all the time...

signed....BUBBIE

I ride 2 up most of the time. I don't know about a full lock turn but I have no problem with a u turn on rural two lane roads.

i can do tightish turns but full lock u turns, i struggled on my test as its compulsory so to say i cannot do them would be a lie to say i can do them smoothly would again be a lie, i could turn my sporty round in the space for to cars side by side if i really had to, but i dont so i do what ever is safe and if it means getting of to walk the bike so be it, i aint proud (even tho i ride like a nutter :D)
Coming from you Hobbit I feel a little better as I have (and do) consider you a Jedi Rider!!
Glad to see you're only human too! :s

HC, I'm riding the same scoot you are, and yes, I can do it, but only 1-up and only VERY slowly and with great care, not the nonchalant way others make it appear.

You can do it too...just take your time and go slow and work your way into it a little at a time.
Thanks RichardS, I knew that I had/have to practice, and I'm not in the least bit afraid of myself getting hurt. but it's like we mentioned in this forum last week, getting that first scratch is what has me worried! :(
Don't get me wrong, my bike isn't flawless. it's just that there are no noticeable dings jumping out for the untrained eye to see.

Honestly, I do the turns lock to lock solo just fine, no I do not have a full size Ultra, but then I have only had my Sporty about a year and is my first Harley. And no I do not get enough practice on the bike with Coline on the back to do this on a regular basis. BUT since I am only a block or so away from a parking lot, I usually do a few left and right figure eights lock to lock just to keep me "fresh" before I go on my weekend rides solo or 2-up as a warmup, especially if it is at the beginning of the riding season.

Yes, I have had to do tight turns w/ Coline on the back, lock to lock...but I made sure I did it smooth with weight on the outside peg, knee against the tank and did it without drama...make sure you tell your passenger early on when doing slow maneuvers to always be still, and keep sight line with my DOT sticker on back of my helmet. You do not want to scare the passenger, so smile to as you do these manuevers, keep mentally focused and look all the way around the turn, DO NOT look down. Use your friction zone on the clutch, keep the wheels moving and use ONLY the rear brake...you will be fine!

Thanks NewHD! Some great advice there. I like the part where I should smile so I don't "scare the passenger". Thank goodness she can't read my mind while I'm doing it!! :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Back