free website stats program Can smell the gear oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can smell the gear oil

Running spectro 6 and with may gear lubes that have that real strong hypoid gear lube smell. From the opinions in this thread, sounds like a normal vent wiff. I spilled some in the shop and it takes forever to get rid of the smell.

That happened to me once. I refilled the box and got some on the heatshield. A little of it went behind the shield and it took a little while to cook off.

It doesn't take much to smell up a shop or garage that's for sure. Once when I was performing a service on a truck while it was up on a lift. I accidently backed into the draining gear lube from the rear differential. It was nice and warm and went all over my head in my hair of course and all down my shirt.
It was almost like getting sprayed by a skunk.
And it took 3 hot hot showers and about 3 day's before the smell went away.
Does wonders for your hair also

Anybody remember Squigy from Lavern & Shirley, now that was an oily hair moment :25:

Seriously, gear oil smell is rather eh...unique. And it really does not take much to smell it in a closed garage. As long as your fluid levels check out and no obvious signs of leakage or burning it may be one of those, dare I say... " --they all do it " moments. :newsmile030:

Back