free website stats program Can smell the gear oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Can smell the gear oil

david26

Went to the mobil 1 75-90 in my tranny at my first service on my 09 dyna and am now planing on switching to the spectro 6 speed at 5000 since every one seems to like it so much and i found a local place that carrys it but right now when i get off the bike after a long ride i will get a quik wiff of the gear oil , I dont seem to have any leak and was wondering if anyone else notic this or should I be concerend about it

Thanks
Dave

If you can smell it, probably it's leaking somewhere. Start with the drain plug and check there, maybe it needs a new washer on it. From there it's a search and locate mission.

i can smell the spectro after long rides esp if its been high speed just a whiff and gone .. its bright red so i would see the leak i think its just trans breathing

After really pounding on it I get that slight smell of gear oil as well,level never goes down and the the vent tube is dry

09 RK with redline with shockproof. Have been able to smell the gear oil since day one after things get nice and warm. Checked several times. No leaks. I think it is just from the vent. Odor does not last long and is gone as soon as she cools off.

I have noticed the same on mine, usually just a quick wiff when I pull in the garage and shut her down. No leaks, I guess just a satisfied burp after a nice ride. Using Spectro Platinum.

Back