Can smell the gear oil

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by david26, May 29, 2009.

1. david26

david26 Active Member

Went to the mobil 1 75-90 in my tranny at my first service on my 09 dyna and am now planing on switching to the spectro 6 speed at 5000 since every one seems to like it so much and i found a local place that carrys it but right now when i get off the bike after a long ride i will get a quik wiff of the gear oil , I dont seem to have any leak and was wondering if anyone else notic this or should I be concerend about it

Thanks
    Dave

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

If you can smell it, probably it's leaking somewhere. Start with the drain plug and check there, maybe it needs a new washer on it. From there it's a search and locate mission.

3. bradp

bradp Member

I have noticed the same thing. Oil level is good, no visible leaks. 09 FLHRC. Go figger.

4. Dan89FLSTC

Dan89FLSTC Banned

Check the tranny vent line, make sure it is not kinked or blocked. It doesn`t take much gear oil to make a stink...

5. Marten

Marten Member

Running Amsoil 75/140 no smell in tranny on 07 RK great improvement , no smell.

6. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

i can smell the spectro after long rides esp if its been high speed just a whiff and gone .. its bright red so i would see the leak i think its just trans breathing

7. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

After really pounding on it I get that slight smell of gear oil as well,level never goes down and the the vent tube is dry

8. 00BUCKSHOT

00BUCKSHOT Junior Member

i get a wiff every now and then but i'm not worried as long as the level stays correct

9. larryjmiller

larryjmiller Junior Member

09 RK with redline with shockproof. Have been able to smell the gear oil since day one after things get nice and warm. Checked several times. No leaks. I think it is just from the vent. Odor does not last long and is gone as soon as she cools off.

10. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

I have noticed the same on mine, usually just a quick wiff when I pull in the garage and shut her down. No leaks, I guess just a satisfied burp after a nice ride. Using Spectro Platinum.