free website stats program Can I Retrofit an '07 103" & 6 Spd Into an '04 Classic? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can I Retrofit an '07 103" & 6 Spd Into an '04 Classic?

Rod Stewart

Hi All;
I have parted out my wrecked '07 Road King, and now a bunch of stuff is sold, but I still have the 103" engine and 6 speed tranny. If it doesn't sell, It would be real nice to have this setup in my '04 Classic, but I don't know if its possible or practical. Is there a show-stopper that would make this impossible?
[I originally asked this question in another thread in the Touring bikes forum, but did not get any answers. So I thought I would post it here, though I don't guess it's really what most would consider an "Extreme Mod".]

I think mechanically it is doable because its the same generation frame, though I believe the '07 had some swingarm frame mods; not sure.
Intake, fuel supply, exhaust and throttle/clutch cableing should be straight forward enough.
Most electrical should be plug n' play, but not all. I will likely use the '07 throttle body, but I know the injector connectors are different. Could use the '04 throttle body if there are too many differences. I have the '07 ECM but I don't know how compatible it will all be with the rest of the '04 wiring. Maybe I can use the '04 88" ECM with a 103" map in the Cruise Commander.
Any thoughts and/or suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rod

The 07 frame isn't any wider than the pre07s; swing arm, wheels and forks are the same.. If you swap eh complete drive train, i.e., trans, primary and motor, it will fit with some minor mods. I suspect there will be some a bracket or two somewhere that will require replacing or modifying to fit like the swing arm bracket, passenger floorboard mount or some wiring that won't reach a connector or something like that. I believe it has been done but I don't know anyone that has done it.

I am electrically challenged so can't answer the ECM question but can tell you that the '04 T/B is 44mm and the '07 is 46mm, you can change the injector connectors; I believe Zippers has a "conversion" kit.

I think it will be one of those projects that you will wish you had never started when you get into it but very gratifying when you complete it.;)

Hey dolt thanks for the info. As always you were right. Zippers offer one connector kit to enable 2001-2005 TB use with a 2006 and up, as well as a second kit to enable 2006-2007 cable TB use with a 2001-2005 TC. They don't appear to be plug and play; looks like wires need to be cut and new crimp sockets added. No big deal, just fiddely. The kits are $50 each.
They also offer a pretty good assortment of high flow injectors in the price range of $70 to $100 compared to H-D's prices of about $150 each.
I bet you are right about there being a few potholes along the road. Hopefully nothing insurmountable. It would be nice when complete though. :cool:
Rod

Hey dolt thanks for the info. As always you were right. Zippers offer one connector kit to enable 2001-2005 TB use with a 2006 and up, as well as a second kit to enable 2006-2007 cable TB use with a 2001-2005 TC. They don't appear to be plug and play; looks like wires need to be cut and new crimp sockets added. No big deal, just fiddely. The kits are $50 each. They also offer a pretty good assortment of high flow injectors in the price range of $70 to $100 compared to H-D's prices of about $150 each. I bet you are right about there being a few potholes along the road. Hopefully nothing insurmountable. It would be nice when complete though. :cool:
Rod

I have the kit to adapt the SE Pro 50mm T/B to my '05 FXSTD as part of my 95" to 98" upgrade; better heads, more compression and more cam. Just finished installing a Baker DD6 and the upgrade is next. Kit looks simple enough but we will both need a proper crimping tool, not a job for a pair of pliers. Haven't figured out which of the below would be best but there will be approximately 14 connectors to change and without a good tool, won't take much to make a mistake.;)

http://www.sargenttools.com/ToolsBy...n_and_conductor_medium_size_wire_crimp_tool/#

https://www.amazon.com/Waldom-Electronics-W-HT-1921-CRIMPING-ELECTRONICS/dp/B0195UWT9U

http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-G-Tool-Ai...860440?hash=item3d16489498:g:QCsAAOSwZ8ZXAJ6p

Thanks for posting these options. Very handy stuff.
I have the third option the S&G crimper, or at least the one I have looks identical to that.. I have used it a lot; it works quite well and covers right down to #24 wire size terminals all in one tool.
The Waldom crimper is for larger Molex style terminals and would be too big I think.
The Sargent crimper looks pretty good but I don't think it can do anything that the S&G can't, and the S&G is pretty well priced at $25.
Just my take.
Rod

Back