free website stats program Can a Fuel pak burn up a cylinder. | Harley Davidson Forums

Can a Fuel pak burn up a cylinder.

ickysticky74

A guy that tuned my friends bike with a power commander, told him that if you use a fuel pak with the new engines that shut down to one cylinder, they are bad for the bike and can burn up the cylinder. Have anybody on here heard of such a thing? His bike is a 2009 Street Glide SE big air sucker, true dual rineharts and he had cam work done.

The reason why I ask is because I just bought a 2009 Street Glide with a fuel pak, Vance & Hines true duals and SE big air sucker. My friend is now telling me to disconnect the fuel pak or I am going to burn up my motor.

Thanks in advance.
WAP.gif

Thats a new one to me. How can adding a little fuel to a motor to help it run cooled (and add performance) be bad for it?

What is it doing to shut down the cylinder? Fuel or spark?

The newer bikes have a system that does shut down one cylinder for heat management purposes called ETIMS. This system controls the shutdown by killing spark (i believe). Any fuel tuner whether it be a Dobeck TFI, Vance & Hines FP, Power Commander or others will not have the ability to turn off/shutdown a cyclinder or interfere with the HD ECM that would control the ETIMS.

The FP is direct connect to the HD ECM and does not run wires to the injectors like some tuners so I would bet more on a wiring issue with the HD wiring to the injector than a tuner shutting down the fuel to a cylinder. If the FP is cutting spark it more sophisticated than I would have ever guessed.

Could a FP do this? Anything is possible but if this were true of the V&H FP the best place to ask that would be V&H.

Here is some info on ETIMS...

Harley Davidson Community

He was referencing the ETIMS system that shuts down the cylinder. That since the cylinder is shut down that it will burn up the working cylinder because the fuel pak doesn't know it's running on one cylinder. I mean they only sell millions of fuel management systems so I find it hard to believe that the fuel pak will melt your running cylinder.
WAP.gif

I too have a Fuel Pak on my /09 Ultra. I've sat in line at the border crossing between the US and Canada with the ETIMS working and have had no problems at all. Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

What is it doing to shut down the cylinder? Fuel or spark?

The newer bikes have a system that does shut down one cylinder for heat management purposes called ETIMS. This system controls the shutdown by killing spark (i believe). Any fuel tuner whether it be a Dobeck TFI, Vance & Hines FP, Power Commander or others will not have the ability to turn off/shutdown a cyclinder or interfere with the HD ECM that would control the ETIMS.

The FP is direct connect to the HD ECM and does not run wires to the injectors like some tuners so I would bet more on a wiring issue with the HD wiring to the injector than a tuner shutting down the fuel to a cylinder. If the FP is cutting spark it more sophisticated than I would have ever guessed.

Could a FP do this? Anything is possible but if this were true of the V&H FP the best place to ask that would be V&H.

Here is some info on ETIMS...

Harley Davidson Community

I would think they would shut down the injector otherwise it would kill the converter in short order with all that raw gas, also on no converter bikes it would gas wash the cylinder and leave the cylinder with no lube on it and fuel contaminate the oil. So if they shut down the injector then the fuel pack should not have any efect on burning the cylinder up.
On most OBD2 vehicles if the engine develops a bad enough missfire the PCM will shut the injector off so the converter will not be overloaded with fuel and overheat and melt down the converter.

I found this in the fuel section.

Attachments

• Engine Idle Temperature Mangement System 2008.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 33
Thanks for finding and posting that bc45. Reading the factory service bulletin clarifies any "misinformation" on a subject.

I'm in total agreement that the injector is turned off, but I have to believe that the oiling system is still providing lubrecation to that rear cyl. I can't see any way that excess heat would be a problem.

I could be wrong here bit IMO this operates similar to the Delphi system on the Northstar engines 8-6-4 where they shut off the fuel to the cylinders and it works just fine

Back