free website stats program Can a DS402F HD Wide White Wall be used as a rear tire? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can a DS402F HD Wide White Wall be used as a rear tire?

bender1

I've got a guy that wants to sell me a brand new Dunlop DS402F HD Wide White Wall tire for $75.00 which is a killer price but the yellow sticker on it says that it is a "Front Belted" tire. This is the exact same size tire that is on the rear of my Softail and I'm going with WWW's anyway so if I can score this one for $75 then that would be great. So can I use this as a rear tire? If not, why?

Here is a pic of the yellow tag on it

Thanks alot!!

Ben

The max size pics allowed are 800 X 600. Oversize pics will be removed as it distorts the thread and makes it difficult to moderate.

Feel free to post the proper size pics again .

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a little research and it looks like the load rating is 72 which = 783 lbs. and rated H for speed up to 130 mph. I never ride with a passenger, as for speed, 80-85mph tops, MAYBE!! So from what I can tell I don't see why this wouldn't work. Anybody disagree?

A 72 is fine for the load range, but since the tire was never intended on being used a rear tire, I would wait for more input from the gurus here... I myself wouldn't do it, but that's just me. I tend to go extra safe with my tires, blowouts on a bike are not fun, and VERY dangerous if the timing is bad.

Bill

Did a little research and it looks like the load rating is 72 which = 783 lbs. and rated H for speed up to 130 mph. I never ride with a passenger, as for speed, 80-85mph tops, MAYBE!! So from what I can tell I don't see why this wouldn't work. Anybody disagree?

"F" is for "front" for a reason. If it did not matter, Dunlop and all the other tire makers would sell them for mounting on either wheel.

When you accelerate, the total wait of the bike shifts rearward increasing the loading on the rear wheel. This is why the rear is designed with a higher load rating than the front along with other design differences.

So short answer: NO. DO NOT use a front tire on the rear of your bike.

TQ

I would Absolutely NOT do it. But if I did, I would also make sure my WILL was up to date.

Right on y'all. I was just really hoping it could work but no big deal. I'm just soooo close to being finished and since I moved to Florida and started school that $300-$400 to finish it has been a lot harder to come up with. Just tryin to save a few bucks. Not worth gettin scraped off the crete though, thats for sure!! Oh by the way, here's a couple shots of my ride in case your curious. Thanks guys!!

Great bike but the max size pics allowed are 800 X 600. Oversize pics will be removed as it distorts the thread and makes it difficult to moderate.

Feel free to post the proper size pics again .

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back