free website stats program Can a 60 Year Old Newbie Handle a Bagger? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Can a 60 Year Old Newbie Handle a Bagger?

I'm 68 and had stop riding for about 30years. Bought an Ultra Classic last spring. Look at it for about 3 weeks to get familiar with the bike, took a 3 day riding course and hit the road. It's like riding a bicycle you never forget.
Ride safe...........

I'm 67 and bought a Road King after an absence of ownership of over 30 years. During that time I kept my motorcycle endorsement active on my driver's license. The Road King felt huge and clumsy when I got on it the first time. I spent a couple days practicing in school parking lots. Slow speed maneuvers improved a bit. Then I cautiously hit the road. I've now been riding one summer and am beginning to feel more comfortable, but I still feel the need to be acutely conscious of my behavior and surroundings.

Same situation here, I also hadn't ridden for over 30 years and as a kid only rode small bikes.

I chose a Road King and am very pleased.

I took a safety class which really helped me learn how to control and maneuver the bike. I think any new rider regardless of age will get a lot of benefit from such a class.

Took the rider course several years ago so I could get "legal". In my class were 3 sixtyish couples...or around my age so to speak. They all wanted to see the world from atop a touring bike, but they had zero experience. They all passed the course even after a couple minor crashes. My feeling is the couples each got to experience riding a motorcycle and that should help when riding together. The friend should take the rider course with his wife...the 125's aren't very intimidating, then rent a bagger for a week.

I totally agree with all the other folks have said, especially the suggestion about taking a refresher riding course and practice. As to age, I was 73 when I took the beginners course and am now about to reach 81 after a Volusia and three Harley EG's ...the latest a 2012 UC Limited.....about 110k miles in eight years ..........HAVING A BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Riding solo!

I got my motorcycle license last 1981 and stopped riding (how stupid i was!) last 1987 due to new job and start a family... I haven't ride a motorcycle until I purchased 2010Road King Classic. I think it is risk but I am glad I have RKC! My wife just got a license two years ago and got her new 2011 883 sportster. Now, she wants Switchback. It is not easy! Just go with your guts.

Back