free website stats program Can a 60 Year Old Newbie Handle a Bagger? | Harley Davidson Forums

Can a 60 Year Old Newbie Handle a Bagger?

Got a friend who's about 60. Hasn't been on a bike for over 30 years. He wants to buy an Ultra-Classic and ride two-up with his wife to see our national parks, etc. He's asked for my advice. Is he asking for an early closed-coffin trip to the bone yard or should he go for it? What do you guys think? thanks - Joe

Why not rent one for a weekend and see if he can handle it. Everybody has different abilities. There are plenty of guys on this site over 60 that ride baggers so the age alone doesn't mean much.

Got a friend who's about 60. Hasn't been on a bike for over 30 years. He wants to buy an Ultra-Classic and ride two-up with his wife to see our national parks, etc. He's asked for my advice. Is he asking for an early closed-coffin trip to the bone yard or should he go for it? What do you guys think? thanks - Joe

Its not the fact that your friend is about 60 or even if he is in great shape or not ---- its the fact he hasnt been on two wheels for so long and he wants to do two up with his sweetie is what concerns me!!!! I agree 100% to rent a bike or two or three and get back in the swing of things first. JMO. ( whats YOUR advice to him????)

Yep. I'm 64 and just got off a 3,800 mile ride on my '95 Glide -- two days were over 500 miles and one was about 650. So, it ain't the age per se. But, you've got a good idea -- rent for a week and see. Probably could get 100 responses to my request; but yours is spot on. Thanks - Joe

Why not rent one for a weekend and see if he can handle it. Everybody has different abilities. There are plenty of guys on this site over 60 that ride baggers so the age alone doesn't mean much.

:s I agree, even with the back problems I have I had NO problems handling a 95 Ultra in Sturgis last year, The key will be Practice with and with out a passenger and a refresher course by the Motorcycle Safety folks might be a BIG plus IMO

Jack brings up a great suggestion in the motorcycle safety course. As many of the posts have pointed out, everyone comes to motorcycling with different abilities. Assuming that your friend is like most of us, an average human being, it might take some getting used to when riding the Ultra. I returned to motorcycling about 20 years ago with a mid weight Kawasaki. I then "graduated" to the Ultra. The biggest issue? The shear weight of the machine. It takes some getting used to. Took me about 500 miles before I felt comfortable and about 1500 more before I felt "at home" on the bike. Electra Glides are amazingly agile bikes for their size. But, it does take practice. After about 10000 miles on my 'Glide, I still "practice" u turns and the like whenever I get the opportunity. It keeps your skills sharp, and IMO makes you feel more at home on the bike. That being said, my Ultra is a bike that I would never sell.....I love it that much....

I agree on the practice. I rode the same 96 Fatboy til last fall and I was like a kid on a bicycle. (Been riding 40 years and 3 harley's) I bought the glide standard and had to get use to the heavy yet agile front end. I spent some time alone in parking lots on the slow drills til I could turn it inside two parking spots. I added the ole lady and practiced some more. A weekend course will give you some tools to get started but no means makes you road ready in my opinion. I don't do poker runs or big rides anymore because of close calls with new riders. They wont even give car licenses with 16 hours of practice in a parking lot.

I'd go with therenting one first, but only he rides the rental till he gets the feel of it & see's if he can handle just the bike. After that intoduce the wife to see how she feels on the bike. If Mama ain't happy no one's happy. The biggest thing especially after 30 years is just don't let him think he's gonna be a pro after a couple of miles.

Got a friend who's about 60. Hasn't been on a bike for over 30 years.

Hows the saying go...you never forget? Just kidding. Definitely needs some time on a bike by himself for a while to get back in the grove.

He wants to buy an Ultra-Classic and ride two-up with his wife to see our national parks, etc.

Good for him. That's the bike he wants and he can afford one go for it. I would NOT however start off riding his wife on the back until he got familiar with riding again. Practice around the hood and later in traffic alone.

I'm not a big beliver with the start small thing....right or wrong. Get what you want....or at least close enough with money being the big factor.

:s I agree, even with the back problems I have I had NO problems handling a 95 Ultra in Sturgis last year, The key will be Practice with and with out a passenger and a refresher course by the Motorcycle Safety folks might be a BIG plus IMO

Me too. I have an 01 Ultra and haul the OL a lot. I am 65 and 5' 9" and weigh around 150. and a big shout for the rider course.

Back