free website stats program Camshft question | Harley Davidson Forums

Camshft question

Veep

I ride an 09 nightrain with V&H big Shots, air cleaner, and SE 204 cams. I am not really happy with the cams. They seem to perform well above 3000 rpm but poorly at cruising speeds. If my rpm is below 2500 rpm and I roll on the throttle it vibrates noticeably until rpms increase and then it takes off quickly. Would a cam advance kit make a big difference (to lower the effective RPM range of the cam) and who makes a good one. How much should I expect the RPM range to drop. Or would a new cam be the way to go. I am not doing any head or valve work so no high lift cams. Any suggestions or comments would be welcome. Thanks. :newsmile091:

i think if its struggling around 2500 then cleans out and pulls hard you may want to look at the tuning side of things as a cam profile wont come in hard like that. what tuner are you using??

You state, performs poorly at cruising speed/2500 rpm. If you are rolling on hard in 5th gear at 2500 rpm, you really shouldn't expect much until you get above 3000. It's not so much the cams, as the gear ratio. Higher gears don't have the mechanical advantage that lower ones do. If your bike doesn't pull well from 2500 in 3rd gear, you have a concern.

Last edited:
Very few cams do much prior to 3000 rpm most above 3500 rpm. Exhaust will make a huge difference below 3500. I was running Vance big shots with no baffle. Went to a two into one with baffles. Big difference.

A +4 degree advannce will move the power band to come on about 500rpm sooner. The 204 is a good cam but Joe Minton from American Rider magazine recomends using the +4 advance for street use.He always recomends a cam with an intake close of 30 degrees after bottom dead center. The 4 degree advance will acomplish that with your cam. I believe Andrews makes one.
WAP.gif

Back