camshaft cover broken bolt

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by fabrozor, May 29, 2014.

1. fabrozor

fabrozor Active Member

hi,

On my FLHT 2005, a camshaft cover bolt has broken.
    There are only few threads remaining.
    The bolt was installed with blue loctite.
    How would you remove it ???

I think to heat with a flame but i'm affraid to put the fire onto the whole bike.

Here are 2 photos to show the bolt on top right.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

you should be ok putting some heat to it..looks like you have some threads to grab hold on

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Try a heat gun, you may also use a piece of pipe that will fit over the broken bolt and give the surface a few taps before removal

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

If you have a pair of needle nose locking pliers, it looks like you have plenty of thread left to get a grip on (see below). My guess is that once you get a little movement, it will get handy.

Eclipse 6 Needle Nose Locking Pliers

Once removed, chase the threads in the block with a tap (I think those are 1/4-20, but double check). Has to be a reason that the old bolt got so stuck it sheared off.

Cheers,

TQ

5. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Those are Awesome tools, I have American and Mteric set, I bought mine years ago when they first came out, Now they can be had cheap at many discount tool outlets, if you break a stud they will pay for them selves:D

7. fabrozor

fabrozor Active Member

Thank you guys for the advices.

I think i'll try to heat with flame and gently hit the end of the thread with a hammer.

Then i will try to buy 2 nuts and thread it with Red Loctite, so it should be more stiff than the blue Loctite and it should unscrew.

8. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

I can see that you could remove that stud easily (I hope so!). Take a look into that video and you will be able to do that. Let us know how you make it.

How to remove a stud - YouTube

9. WildWes72

WildWes72 New Member

Get a small pair of vice grips and apply heat and slowly work it out. It should not take much to get it out!!!

10. fabrozor

fabrozor Active Member

Hi,

I tried to put 2 nuts on the bolt remaining few threads and tighten them together + some loctite.
    It didn't worked. The 2 nuts unscrew together out of the bolt.

Now i put 1 nut on the bolt + loctite, then i hammered the bolt external end to flaten it onto the nut.
    I let the loctite become dry and stiff. I'll try tomorrow to unscrew the whole thing.