free website stats program camshaft cover broken bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

camshaft cover broken bolt

fabrozor

hi,

On my FLHT 2005, a camshaft cover bolt has broken.
There are only few threads remaining.
The bolt was installed with blue loctite.
How would you remove it ???

I think to heat with a flame but i'm affraid to put the fire onto the whole bike.

Here are 2 photos to show the bolt on top right.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0341b.jpg
    IMAG0341b.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0342b.jpg
    IMAG0342b.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 42
Try a heat gun, you may also use a piece of pipe that will fit over the broken bolt and give the surface a few taps before removal

If you have a pair of needle nose locking pliers, it looks like you have plenty of thread left to get a grip on (see below). My guess is that once you get a little movement, it will get handy.

Eclipse 6 Needle Nose Locking Pliers

Once removed, chase the threads in the block with a tap (I think those are 1/4-20, but double check). Has to be a reason that the old bolt got so stuck it sheared off.

Cheers,

TQ

There might be enough thread left to get two nuts on it and lock them together to be able to unscrew or use a stud extractor but plenty of heat from a hot air gun or gas torch to start with

Clarke PRO57 4-Pce Stud Extractor Set - Machine Mart

Brian

Those are Awesome tools, I have American and Mteric set, I bought mine years ago when they first came out, Now they can be had cheap at many discount tool outlets, if you break a stud they will pay for them selves:D

Thank you guys for the advices.

I think i'll try to heat with flame and gently hit the end of the thread with a hammer.

Then i will try to buy 2 nuts and thread it with Red Loctite, so it should be more stiff than the blue Loctite and it should unscrew.

Hi,

I tried to put 2 nuts on the bolt remaining few threads and tighten them together + some loctite.
It didn't worked. The 2 nuts unscrew together out of the bolt.

Now i put 1 nut on the bolt + loctite, then i hammered the bolt external end to flaten it onto the nut.
I let the loctite become dry and stiff. I'll try tomorrow to unscrew the whole thing.

Back