free website stats program Cams | Harley Davidson Forums

Cams

Would like to get some insight on cams. I'm running a FLHX-103, big sucker, V&H tru-duals w/race pythons (slip-ons), and H-D race tuner.
First question is;
What's your thoughts on chain or gear
Next is what's a good set up for gains thru low's/mid's/high's

You did not say what year your bike is but I'm guessing that it has the new Harley hydraulic tensioner which is a good one. As far as cams you need to determine what type of riding you do and select a cam that will give you the performance where you want it. For a heavy touring bike the Harley 255 seem like a good choice, but Bubbie will give you some good info on what works best.

This is a good site to gain some insite on how to pick a cam for you type of riding and your bike set up. They are also great people to talk to:Choosing a Cam

When i go from 96" on my 09 FLHR, I will get pressure relief valves and a "street port" on my heads by Deweysheads in Wa.,,, IF,,, Keeping the SE255 cams I installed, I will also get manual PR valves for easy starting.

Note
(early closing intake valve cams make More Added Compression in the motor and that = POWER at the Low End where WE want it)

The SE255 Raise the compression with early closing intake valve from 30* close on a stock HD to 25* close and .550 Lift helps in Making the Low End Torque we want in a bike for our ride style(same as yours)

I have good stage one now like you do.
I use the SE slender taper Adjustable push rods. Cutting out the old HD ones, (sniped with Rag covered Big Bolt-cutter, setting each valve position on Closed then Snip) Making the cam change easier in Not having to remove gas tank then loosen the valve-rocker area. SNIP is easier.

IF i were 103 NOW and adding cams, and didn't do head work (yet), I would use the 48H cams. Intake close at 29*. That combination cams with 103 size motor works Great.(I used the se255's because I am 96" not 103)

The 48H is very similar of the SE255's I use Now, 255's of which the intake valves closes at 25*...
I used the SE255's for low end torque and it is Exactly what I need at 96" and for the type of riding I do (single and 2 up trips) Not high RPM's needed to have POWER.:D

The 103" combination using the 48H will give you More low end torque also but Just a little further out than the 255's.

Either the 255's or the 48H are the best cams for what WE want in
ride-ability, dependability, making Low End Torque and a Lot more power than the stock cams HD comes with....

Not knowing your bike??? Check FIRST to see what cams your bike came with... Some bikes that Come 103" have the SE255 cams out the factory door...

Then it is a waste of time changing to the 48H... They are very close cams of the 255's and will not help enough for the $$ to change them over.

IF it came with SE255's, and More is wanted, I Then would do a "street port" by "Deweysheads" and also install PRvalves (unless auto. type are also there from HD).Using a .030 head gasket will also help here (squish)

:guitar
IF you want more information, Click on my name BUBBIE and click on More post by me, Then you can look back and read Post that apply to cams and our like bikes and our similar ride style... I do have Many post that apply...:D

Another very knowledgeable member to Read IS "R.Bingham",,, click on his name and Look for the post you want to read, he also has many that will be helpful.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie and HDDon, I guess in terms of chain verses gears it's much easier to replace a chain than to fix what the gears would screw-up, and with the new hydraulic auto-tension why swap.

Thanks Bubbie and HDDon, I guess in terms of chain verses gears it's much easier to replace a chain than to fix what the gears would screw-up, and with the new hydraulic auto-tension why swap.

Sorry Bill, I did not address the gear to chain...

The way these newer bikes come, I would Not do the gear drives in the 07 and newer touring bikes...

The newer Hydraulic cam chain system is by far Better than the old system.

Hd's LACK of tolerance on their Cranks make me want to Keep the chain.

just like you say;

"with the new hydraulic auto-tension why swap."

signed....BUBBIE

Back