free website stats program Cams - They're Coming | Harley Davidson Forums

Cams - They're Coming

SoonerSoftail

Just got an email that my kit from Herko has left there and should be at my door Monday. :small3d036: Weather next week lokks good so it might be a few days before I do the conversion but it's close.:D

Just got an email that my kit from Herko has left there and should be at my door Monday. :small3d036: Weather next week lokks good so it might be a few days before I do the conversion but it's close.:D

Will you be doing the work yourself?

You ordered your stuff from a very reliable guy. John is a top notch supplier and has put together a very good package.
kemo

I agree with Kemo. Both of us used one of John's kits to do our up-grade. I think you will be very happy once you get a look at how thorough the kit is!!

TQ

Yes. The only time I ever let anyone else work on anything of mine is when it takes special tools or equipment that are out of reach. I will have it dyno'ed after.

Awesome. It would be Great to see a few pictures along the way. That day (cams day) is coming for me as well, and it would really help me understand the steps that are involved.

Hope it goes smooth. Will you be taking crank run-out measurements. Since it's chain drive you really don't have too but it would be just nice to know.

I hope that you are changing the inner cam bearings. If you didn't buy the removal tool find one that you can borrow. Some people use a blind bearing removal tool, it works but if the needles fall out they will fall into the crank case, if that happens you can fish them out with a magnet some times. They say to install the inner cam bearings with the numbers facing out. Truthfully I don't know which way I installed mine and I have 30000 miles on mine with no problems. If you are using the adjustable push rods do not over torque the jam nuts, I cracked one of mine. I replaced all the jam nuts with custom made s/s nuts.
kemo

Awesome. It would be Great to see a few pictures along the way. That day (cams day) is coming for me as well, and it would really help me understand the steps that are involved.

Hope it goes smooth. Will you be taking crank run-out measurements. Since it's chain drive you really don't have too but it would be just nice to know.
I'll try to take pictures but I'm bad about getting so involved in the work I forget. They're are tons of threads with good pics and descriptions already. Don't plan on checking crank runout. I might for academics but I doubt it.

I hope that you are changing the inner cam bearings. If you didn't buy the removal tool find one that you can borrow. Some people use a blind bearing removal tool, it works but if the needles fall out they will fall into the crank case, if that happens you can fish them out with a magnet some times. They say to install the inner cam bearings with the numbers facing out. Truthfully I don't know which way I installed mine and I have 30000 miles on mine with no problems. If you are using the adjustable push rods do not over torque the jam nuts, I cracked one of mine. I replaced all the jam nuts with custom made s/s nuts.
kemo
Yep. Bought the whole bearing remover/installer from George's. I can't see what difference it could make which way the lettering on bearings is facing. I've seen directional bearings but basic needle bearings aren't. I've also seen somewhere that the markings on the shims are supposed to face out. Don't see what difference that could make either. I'll do it, but I don't think it matters. Technical writers have to keep their jobs somehow is what I guess.

Back