free website stats program Cams for Bagger | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cams for Bagger

I was finally able to update the cam tensioners. I went with the Herko kit(definately the way to go) with Harley "B" lifters, SE adj. pushrods, and Andrews 37N cams advanced 4 degrees. In the carb I put two #4 washers, a #46 jet, and the EZ adjust idle mixture screw. It already had a #195 jet so I left it alone. I'm really pleased with the results and so far the bike runs great! It is really responsive now and pulls really hard. A really big Thanks to John(Herko) and everyone that replied and shared info! Thanks again! This is a great forum!

One thing that happened to me I thought I would share. I ordered the 37's with the Herko kit and later when I finally tore into the cam chest I found out there was already Screaming Eagle 203 cams installed. It still had the spring tensioners on the cam plate but it just seemed ironic at the time...

Which Andrews cams are closest to the SE 203 cams? I have heard good things about the SE 203s and want to get to as close to that as possible, but want to go with the Herko Pro kit. (I'm guessing the 21N)

I see that the Herko kit supplies the Torrington inner bearings, and the tools to R&R them. What does the Herko kit supply with respect to the cam bearings in the cam plate? Do I need to use anything from the original cam installation with the Herko kit, like pressing out and using the outer bearings (cam plate ones)?

How easy is it to R&R the oil pump? I have seen references to special pump alignment tools.

How are the sprocket alignment spacers used? (i'm guessing to accommodate the crank pinion runout)

I've got an '03 RKC. Don't I already have the 'B' lifters, or should I order them? (I'm guessing not)

What benefit is there to the 4 deg advanced crank sprocket? (I'm guessing none, for me)

Is there a set of instructions I could look at, pdf preferred, before committing to this conversion? I like to be mentally ready, before I start.

Thanks,
Rich P

RibEye I'm sure you'll get plenty of direction from the forum, you should check out the self help section I believe you'll find lots of good info there. The kit is very complete and doing the job is not that hard with the proper tools. Have fun!

Which Andrews cams are closest to the SE 203 cams? I have heard good things about the SE 203s and want to get to as close to that as possible, but want to go with the Herko Pro kit. (I'm guessing the 21N)

I see that the Herko kit supplies the Torrington inner bearings, and the tools to R&R them. What does the Herko kit supply with respect to the cam bearings in the cam plate? Do I need to use anything from the original cam installation with the Herko kit, like pressing out and using the outer bearings (cam plate ones)?

How easy is it to R&R the oil pump? I have seen references to special pump alignment tools.

How are the sprocket alignment spacers used? (i'm guessing to accommodate the crank pinion runout)

I've got an '03 RKC. Don't I already have the 'B' lifters, or should I order them? (I'm guessing not)

What benefit is there to the 4 deg advanced crank sprocket? (I'm guessing none, for me)

Is there a set of instructions I could look at, pdf preferred, before committing to this conversion? I like to be mentally ready, before I start.

Thanks,
Rich P

Rich,

You can see a complete listing of all the parts in Herko's (John Wadsworth) kit here:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

I don't have any instructions per se, but if you watch my pictorial in the link above you get a sense of what is involved in the project. Here is the Andrews Products instructions which uses the exact same stuff as the Herko kit (although Herko gives you more stuff):

Harley Davidson Community

The new style support plate and "N" style Andrews Products cams do NOT use a bearing pressed into the support plate as in the plate you are replacing. The outboard end of the cam shafts has a MUCH larger diameter profile and runs in the support plate on an oil film. That is why the Herko kit including new cams is a more costly option than the SE kit. The SE kit reuses the existing silent chain and the cams or at least sprocket off the existing system.

TQ

Last edited:
Back