free website stats program Camplate | Harley Davidson Forums

Camplate

Is the screaming eagle cam plate and pump kit worth the money. Thinking about putting in 2001 ultra. All thoughts and ideas appreciated. Thanks

JMHO but unless there is a reason to replace your OEM cam plate or you are planning on a major performance upgrade like bigger bore, cams, headwork etc. that will put out 100+HP, I would say no.

The early OEM cam plate is actually quite robust. A cam chest upgrade would be a good idea if the OEM chain tensioners have not been replaced. Pull the cam plate and cams, replace the OEM tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners, replace the inner and outer cam bearings and maybe the oil pump, depending on mileage. If 50K miles or more, I would replace the oil pump with an aftermarket higher capacity pump like the Daytona pump which can be had on Ebay for about $125-$135. If lower mileage, replace the oil pressure relief spring with the Baisley LMR-002 spring. Pay attention to the chain rotation and put the chains back so they are rotating in the same direction as they were before the take down.

Get the service manual and look at work arounds for "special' tools required to decide if you want/need to purchase tools or work around. Check crank run out while you are in the cam chest; just good information to have. Might as well drop in a mild bolt in cam like S&S 509 while you are at it.;)

Buy a stock 2007 camplate and Andrews n-grind cam kit. You now have 07 style setup with roller chain and new style tensioners. Andrews makes a whole upgrade kit. Did mine myself about 18000 ago no issues.

Buy a stock 2007 camplate and Andrews n-grind cam kit. You now have 07 style setup with roller chain and new style tensioners. Andrews makes a whole upgrade kit. Did mine myself about 18000 ago no issues.

Couple of reasons why that won't work.
1. Andrews does not sell a "whole" upgrade kit. The MoCo stopped them from selling HD parts a couple of years back; Andrews can only sell cams.
2. The '07 cam plate does not provide bearings or bushings to support the outer cam journals; the early cam plate runs the outer cam journals in bearings and the SE billet upgrade plates provide bushings or bearings depending on which plate purchased, 25284-11 or 25282-11.
3. Purchasing the ancillary parts required for a full conversion to the '07 (25282-11) and up setup will cost more than purchasing the SE Hybrid kit (25284-11)

Standing by my OP, either SE upgrade cam plate "kits" is worth the money when the early OEM cam plate is quite suitable for most upgrades that don't make 100+HP. New inner and outer bearings, a set of CYCO shoes and the Daytona pump are all the OP needs for a good cam chest upgrade; all for less than half the cost of the SE upgrade.:icon_wink:

Back