free website stats program Camping | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Camping

Check these out. The only way to go IMO. Pricey but they'll do all you need in a very small package. Tree's sold seperately :D

Clark Jungle Hammock - Hammock Camping products for backpackers
Hennessy Hammock
And a site with good info on hammock camping.
Hammock Camping 101
Bodeen

I have to agree with Bodeen here. As long as you can find something to tie it off to, this is the most comfortable ways to camp. If you go this route I find it works best if you spray the line attached to the tree with bug repellent.

+3 on these, you ever sleep in one you won't want a tent anymore. Only drawback is they require trees. These things have a roof and mosquito net all in one unit. Most models have flaps for rain too.

get a water proof bag for your stuff. you never know when it's going to rain. and tents dont always block 100% of the water. I got one at cabelas.

if you get an air matress buy the air pump to go with it.

A hammock is a beautiful thing after sleeping on the ground. It doesn't transfer the damp threw to your body. The problem lies in that the air is circulating on all sides at all times. For you guy's up north it could be an issue. Add a nice sleeping bag and a inflatable pillow and you'll be happy. The one that has storage pockets underneath kinda counteracts the cold air affect if you have clothes or something in them. Very compact though and leaves room for a way to make coffee, at least!
If you can get far enough off a road at night you can sleep, wake up, pack up, and be gone before any one knows you were there. Not condoning trespassing. Just sayin. :D

Bodeen

A hammock is a beautiful thing after sleeping on the ground. It doesn't transfer the damp threw to your body. The problem lies in that the air is circulating on all sides at all times. For you guy's up north it could be an issue. Add a nice sleeping bag and a inflatable pillow and you'll be happy. The one that has storage pockets underneath kinda counteracts the cold air affect if you have clothes or something in them. Very compact though and leaves room for a way to make coffee, at least!
If you can get far enough off a road at night you can sleep, wake up, pack up, and be gone before any one knows you were there. Not condoning trespassing. Just sayin. :D

Bodeen

I've already said how much I like the jungle hammock, there is one other drawback. When your camping buddies tie you up in it (knowing you sleep natural) and retie your hammock in the middle of a girl scout camp. Don't ask me how I know.

Hope you did not give any of my "buddies" any ideas.............. That was a good one. Did you get any "brownie" points for it :newsmile100:

Hope you did not give any of my "buddies" any ideas.............. That was a good one. Did you get any "brownie" points for it :newsmile100:

I did not make any points with the Girl Scout leader or my Scout Master!

I'm going to take a 3 day trip, I'm going to camp for the first time off the bike.
I'm solo so I think a one person tent should be ok as long as it has a llittle extra room for stuff, also a lite weight small package sleeping bag.
Any suggestions?

I can't tell if you have never camped before, or just have never camped from a motorcycle.
If you have never camped before: ear plugs. Depending on your campsite, you would be supprised how loud it is as night with bugs and animals calling.

My camping list:
Bug spray, ear plugs, small flashlight (my favorite is a small LED head lamp. It looks a little strange, but having both hands free is pretty helpfull in just about every situation), tent, sleeping bag and a foam sleeping pad. I have a 3" thick model that has a vent. You roll it up to push the air out. When you unroll it the foam expands and sucks air in. Seal the valve and you have a foam/air mattress that you don't need to inflate. For a 3 day trip you should be fine. I also like a cotton sleeping bag liner. It is like a giant pillow case that you sleep in, inside the your sleeping bag. It is much easier to wash. Especially on longer trips or when it is really warm and the sleeping bag is too hot.

Back