free website stats program Camera Batteries | Harley Davidson Forums

Camera Batteries

The Prophet

My wife bought me a Nikon Coolpix L810 for Fathers Day this year.

All went well until the original batteries went low.

I decided to replace them (cheap Alkalines) with some Eveready Lithium Batteries, specifically (the package claims) for Camera's.

Camera would not turn on. The "on" light would go on for about three seconds, then nothing.

Contacted Nikon vs their onsite Customer Service Email address. They note that they "Promise" to respond within 24 hours. Three days later and still no response. We emailed daily. Good system!

Searched on the internet to find that this is a common problem, but in perusing about 25 stories, no solution was ever noted.

Finally, out of desperation, I went to the store and bought four new Alkaline Batteries - same as the originals.

Camera started right up, and works fine. Have no idea why this would be, but there IS a "Set-Up" function deep within the Menu where they ask which type of Battery you are using. Pretty hard to change though, if the Camera wont turn on. I guess you need to tell it well beforehand what your future intentions are?

Anyway, thought this might be a good tip if your Nikon Digital even needs replacement batteries.

Bob

It is likely your Nikon is sensitive to the lower voltage of a rechargeable battery. Alkaline are 1.5 volts while the rechargeables are 1.2 volts from a fresh charge.

Even though alkaline batteries are rated at a nominal 1.5 volts, they only deliver 1.5 volts when they are fully charged. As they begin to discharge the voltage of alkaline batteries continuously drops. In fact, over the course of their discharge, alkaline batteries actually average about 1.2 volts. That's very close to the 1.2 volts of a NiMH battery. The main difference is that an alkaline battery starts at 1.5 volts and gradually drops to less than 1.0 volts. NiMH batteries stay at about 1.2 volts for most of their discharge cycle.

There are a couple of cases where their actual voltage difference may be important to you. In the case of a device like a radio, where a higher voltage can mean a stronger signal, a fresh alkaline battery may be more desirable - but more expensive - than a rechargeable NiMH battery. This is also true for a flashlight, which will be brighter with the initial higher voltage of alkaline cells. This minor difference may not be important to you and is probably offset by the much lower cost of operating NiMH batteries. And keep in mind that the alkaline battery only has a higher voltage when it is fully charged. Once it gets to 50% capacity or less, it will be delivering a lower voltage than a NiMH battery.

I would opt for high capacity Nickel-Metal-Hydride type batteries. They work great because they deliver high current quickly and yes, they are slightly lower than the nominal 1.5+ initial voltage of Alkaline batteries...but the multiple rechargeable ability with no memory effect of the older Nickel Cadmium ones are soooo much better! :bigsmiley11:

I would opt for high capacity Nickel-Metal-Hydride type batteries. They work great because they deliver high current quickly and yes, they are slightly lower than the nominal 1.5+ initial voltage of Alkaline batteries...but the multiple rechargeable ability with no memory effect of the older Nickel Cadmium ones are soooo much better! :bigsmiley11:

You might want to try the Duracell metal hydride rechargeable. They worked in Jack's camera!!

Back