free website stats program Cam? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam?

01dynaglide

After summer is over I'm planning on doing some work to my bike. It will have around 90K miles on it. I ride a 2001 super glide 88ci with a stage 1 kit on it. I'm going to replace pushrods, valve springs and a few other things. I want to give it a little more pep while doing this so my question is what type of cam would you recommend i go with and why?

After summer is over I'm planning on doing some work to my bike. It will have around 90K miles on it. I ride a 2001 super glide 88ci with a stage 1 kit on it. I'm going to replace pushrods, valve springs and a few other things. I want to give it a little more pep while doing this so my question is what type of cam would you recommend i go with and why?

Depends on how agressive you want to get, and your riding style. I wanted more torque especially on the bottom end, so I went with the AP 21 grind. Since I was doing the roller-chain conversion at the time, the exact cams were the AP 21N. I am very happy with these cams.

Kemo went with the AP 26Ns and is happy with them. Here is some AP info for your consideration.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/2008-catalog.pdf

TQ

+1 on the Andrews 21 cam. I just installed the gear drive version on my Fatboy and couldn't be happier. :D It works great now and when I finally get enough money to do a big bore kit I have a cam that will compliment that too. With 90k on the clock you may want to consider doing a big bore kit also while you have it apart. Even if you don't do the BB, while you have the heads off replace the head gaskets to Cometic .030 gaskets.
Here is a great article you might want to read. Elements of Power: Torque - and how to get some

Did the tensioner conversion last winter and went with the 26N Andrews. Was looking for a little more umph going up through the gears and especially more giddy up when I twist the throttle at cruising speed. Definitly got both without sacrificing rideabliity or MPG (unless I get feeling a little frisky). Running Stage 1 w/ TFI

I have a new in the box Harley 203 cam and pushrod kit I will make you a deal on, send me a pm. if you are interested. More grunt on the low end of the power curve.

Did the tensioner update about two years ago and at the time, went with Andrews 26N cams. These are mid range cams (1800 - 4000 RPM) and I am very happy with the performance. I added a TFI, Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner to go along with the Vance & Hines slip ons that wre already on the bike. Gas milage about the same and the total install wasn't bad. Hope this helps. BTW, the bike is a '99 Ultra.

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to decide which one, well and wait until winter because it is too pretty to pull her down right now, oh yeah and the money too. i need to put a little more back.

Chromedome - I may take you up on the offer if I decide to go with that one. Thanks.

Thanks for the info. Now I just need to decide which one, well and wait until winter because it is too pretty to pull her down right now, oh yeah and the money too. i need to put a little more back.

Chromedome - I may take you up on the offer if I decide to go with that one. Thanks.

Here are the spec comparisons across a number of the makers.

Cam Specifications - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back