free website stats program Cam timing | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam timing

gearhead1

A buddy just installed geared cam drive.

He was telling me a advanced timing crank gear is available to to bring the firing closer to TDC instead of being so retarted to meet factory / goverment specs.

Any opinions on the topic pro or con? I drag race and know the advantages this provides for a small block chevy. Would it increase preformance on a 95" stage 2 motor with SERT on a 2006 ultra?

Thanks for your input

There is also a + or - 4* sprocket available, I'm curious if it will help stock cam set up performance to advance the valve timing.

Al

When you either advance or retard the cam timing, it shifts the peak power band up or down accordingly. It also increases cranking pressure which can cause some problems in some builds.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]Remember also, it advances/retards both main events. you may gain a bit more cranking pressure on adv. on the intake closing, but you'll also open the ex. earlier & let out a bit of working pressure.
In general, you'll raise(retard) or lower(advance) your "sweet spot" by about 400 rpms using this and some cams you could run into problems too because of the cam grind.
[/FONT]

A buddy just installed geared cam drive.

He was telling me a advanced timing crank gear is available to to bring the firing closer to TDC instead of being so retarted to meet factory / goverment specs.

Thanks for your input

Maybe I read this wrong, but I don't think any of these engines actually fire after TDC. That would be way to much retard.
So, if you advance the spark, you are moving away from TDC and not toward it.
I think I remember my automotive class. I think, I think. Oh well, maybe I shouldn't think.
doc

Back