free website stats program cam timeing | Harley Davidson Forums

cam timeing

noeld

I was changing the nose cone on my 89 fxr & the cam got pulled out my Q is the timing mark in the hole on left side have to be lined up to set the 2 marks on the cam gear on right side
they don't seem to line up on both sides ????
thx noel

thx for the link----but does the timeing mark in the hole on left side have to be anywhere when you instale the cam gears on the left side

If you are talking about the breather gear, yes it is critical to get that lined up too.

no I am talking about the timeing mark on the grank on the left side of the bike in the timeing hole
sorry about the misunderstanding
thx noel

thx for link
it didn't say anything about timing mark on crank so I guess im good to go

Your pinion gear(gearcase) is keyed, it fits only one way, as long as the key has not sheared your timing marks on the left side have not changed I hope this helps:s

$_57.JPG

If you look here you will see the keyway and the outer timing mark

no I am talking about the timeing mark on the grank on the left side of the bike in the timeing hole
sorry about the misunderstanding
thx noel

No. You do not need to worry about the timing mark on the crank shaft flywheel that is visible from the left side of the engine behind the plug. Aligning the mark on the cam, breather and pinion sets the valves/camshaft timing (and the breather).

Cheers,

TQ

Back