free website stats program Cam tensioners? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam tensioners?

Not complaining. It's worth the read when someone knows their poop and can explain it well. It's also good for a chuckle when you say your'e not going to get into the weeds and then can't help yourself!

Sorry guys. I do try to be as brief as possible but I hate reading general replies to questions that leave the OP with more questions. I either need to reply to try and answer all the questions a poster might have or not reply at all. ;)

No need to to be sorry it was meant as a complement. ;)

Mine had 43,000 miles and every 2000 miles I do a oil change with Synthetic oil and use a small mirror to inspect the shoes and even though they always looked good I chose to get the Screaming Eagle Kit Because I felt better safe than sorry and the upgraded oil pump and other parts were a nice upgrade anyhow.

however it did not need anything but since it was already apart and upgraded parts purchased i went ahead and changed everything.

but really if you change oil every 2000 miles and inspect the shoes regularly then you should be fine but I'm still happy I went through with the upgrade and have no doubt that with regular maintenance mine will pass the 100,000 mile mark.

it all depends on how you treat the bike and I've had an evo 1200 sportster an ironhead , also a shovelhead and the 88ci twin cam and have always got good service from all of them.

the ironhrad did leak oil till I upgraded the gasket and sealer but it was a 74 xlch and if I still owned it I would not hesitate to ride it from here in Albuquerque to Niagara falls.

these bikes will treat you how you treat them

in good condition
I see some pitting which is the sign of the beginning of deterioration; I would replace that shoe with the CYCO replacement.

The thing that most don't understand about the early OEM tensioners is that while one can take all the preventative measures you have taken and inspect on regular intervals as you have done but those tensioners can catastrophically fail between inspections, without warning and cause all sorts of problems.:eek: Changing oil regularly, the type/weight of oil or how one "treats" the bike has nothing to do with the failure of the early OEM tensioners. The problem is the combination of wrong material being exposed to hot oil and high spring pressure.

If you would truly wan to be safe rather than sorry, my advice to you would be to replace that OEM tensioner with the CYCO replacement soon. A bit of a pain because the cam plate has to come out and the cams removed but worth the time and effort for peace of mind. 25K to 35K is pretty typical of the point at which the OEM tensioners go south. Mine went at 12K on my '05 model and at 25K on my '02 model. Fortunately, I caught them before a catastrophic failure.:cool:

JMHO but if you are running a synthetic oil and changing every 2K mile, you are throwing money away but, it's your money.;)

Back