free website stats program cam tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam tensioners

cosmo56

I think my winter project is to replace my 2000 Rk cam tensioners. Any good kits out there ? Something with everything needed to do the job. Possibly gear drive or Hydro. I would like to keep the bike mostly stock, ie no cam upgrade unless needed. The bike has 104k miles on it. Also I think an oil pump change. Thanks

I think my winter project is to replace my 2000 Rk cam tensioners. Any good kits out there ? Something with everything needed to do the job. Possibly gear drive or Hydro. I would like to keep the bike mostly stock, ie no cam upgrade unless needed. The bike has 104k miles on it. Also I think an oil pump change. Thanks

John Herko makes a good Kit..... With all the needed parts..full style (replacing the INAs) bearings in the engine side of the cams.:D

HD offers a KIT in their parts book... 429$$

PERSONALLY, I would Make sure the cam plate IS NOT a Scream'n Eagle one.. AS It is only Surface Hardened with soft aluminum under and the STOCK plate Has a Hard special metal (the whole plate through) not just surface hardened.. Many Builders say the Scream'n Eagle plate Will wear out early on, where the oil pump rubs while running against the cam plate...

Herko Might be the better one to get as John will put it together with the Right cam plate IF asked.. No scream'n eagle.

I would say the change over to the Larger oil pump along with the New style of cam plate for hydraulic tensioners instead of the shoe IS a BIG plus for you.... Larger oil pump fits right in with the newer type cam plate using the Newer style hydraulic tensioners (nice and more worry free)

Keeping your old cams or buying new stock ones to put back in along with using New STOCK HD replacement lifters will Put a Smile on your face with the added New Life it will give your engine..

signed....BUBBIE

John Herco's kit for sure I did mine in May and EVERYTHING was in the kit and he can set it up with what ever cams you need very helpfull to work with.John is a awsome person

I have been doing some reading about different set ups for the cam chain tensioners. The problem seems to be with the pad wear more than the set up. I know no pads with gear or hydro setups, but is there a better replacement pad made for the original set-up ?

I have been doing some reading about different set ups for the cam chain tensioners. The problem seems to be with the pad wear more than the set up. I know no pads with gear or hydro setups, but is there a better replacement pad made for the original set-up ?

I have HEARD-SAY that the newer shoes were made a little better so the Second set in a bike would last Longer than the first...:lolrolling

I don't believe they were changed as they STILL crack-chip and come apart.. The second set of shoes SEEM to last Longer because of "chain wear",,,, as the chain smooooooths out,,, shoe wear is Not as early on.. IMO

The gear drives are a Good thing in Your bike as the crank runout is probably NOT bad like in some newer 96" bikes of today..

The Hydraulic tensioner(soft material) in my bike were Hardly showing Any wear when last apart for a New cam plate..(20,000 m.) I did replace the Front pad(outside cam plate)
The rear one on the inside, holding cams tight, looked as new as New, so I left it alone.. The New style, front Hydraulic tensioner, Will show some wear early on, Until it gets a groove in it,,, then settles down to a LONG wear process.. It did Not need changing but I did.:D

either way for your bike will work....AND IF you replace the shoes, so be it.. Go another 20,000 or so and re-check them..

I just don't like the "Orange ceramic shoe materials" wearing off there. They are ABRASIVE and NOT magnetic. They travel thru the motor Until caught in the oil filter.. Prime candidate for early rod and bearing life loss... Let alone, Chips get into the gerotors in the oil pump.

The new material used on the New hydraulic style IS NOT an abrasive material ,,, so someone in engineering FINALLY thought the same way I do about the ceramics.

signed....BUBBIE

Another reason for oem replacement shoes wearing longer then the original is that the chains are now polished smooth from the wear on the old shoes.
Ken

John Herco's kit for sure I did mine in May and EVERYTHING was in the kit and he can set it up with what ever cams you need very helpfull to work with.John is a awsome person

Concur with Big bubba. Herko's name is John Wadsworth. Email him at herko@insightbb.com to get a current price list and options. I used his kit as well as his technical support and I needed nothing additional to perform the upgrade. I am very happy with his service and the outcome. :)

Back