free website stats program cam tensioner | Harley Davidson Forums

cam tensioner

I hope that you got your little dental mirror and checked the inner tensioner. Often the inner will have more wear than the outter.

I hope that you got your little dental mirror and checked the inner tensioner. Often the inner will have more wear than the outter.

I got 51k out of the inner but should've changed it at 47-48k and the outer did look better than the inner by quite a bit

yes i did inner looked fine also makes me feel better but i'm still gonna switch to the roller chain this winter
i pulled primary tensioner shoe off and checked it out......its worn pretty bad i'll grab a new one and replace it at my next oil change

00Buckshot, ya done good, took the time to physically "eyeball" those tensioners...and there are two trains of thought, 1) never let it happen again, replace with hydraulic tensioners or 2) replace the shoes and keep an eye on them as they have been working since 2003 and a known "weak spot".

To some may seem trivial, but to most of us with the knowledge provided by the seasoned veterans of HDTimeline, as RichardS says,"--we be in someone else's house..." it is a safe bet to say...go with the winners. I remember back in August 08 it was better to listen to an inner voice than rolling the dice! I'm just glad to be a part of it now...:D

Last edited:
yes i did inner looked fine also makes me feel better but i'm still gonna switch to the roller chain this winter
i pulled primary tensioner shoe off and checked it out......its worn pretty bad i'll grab a new one and replace it at my next oil change

You will get some mixed opinions about this here, but I personally like the Hayden M6 tensioner (Hayden Enterprise ----) and have one on both my bikes. Keeps a strain on the chain, but does not create a problem like the spring tensioners on the cam chains (different material shoe, and WAY more surface area). JMHO.

TQ

You will get some mixed opinions about this here, but I personally like the Hayden M6 tensioner (Hayden Enterprise ----) and have one on both my bikes. Keeps a strain on the chain, but does not create a problem like the spring tensioners on the cam chains (different material shoe, and WAY more surface area). JMHO.

TQ

i thought about an hydralic set-up for the primary...i might still but i thinking yesterday"this shoe is very easy to remove vs. $115 " lol get my drift

I have read that it was a hit and miss problem on the chains. There were some that were stamped with sharp edges and some that were stamped smooth.

I would surely change the chains if I found excessive wear but if not I'd probably leave them alone.

Buckshot I have the HB125. One nice improvement with the hyd tensioner is that there is no loose spot on the chain so when you are in a parking lot or doing slow manovers you don't get the jerkyness of a slopy chain. If you plan on keeping the bike a long time I would change the tensioner. This forum can cost you a lot of money on things that we think that you should have for your bike.
Kemo

Buckshot I have the HB125. One nice improvement with the hyd tensioner is that there is no loose spot on the chain so when you are in a parking lot or doing slow manovers you don't get the jerkyness of a slopy chain. If you plan on keeping the bike a long time I would change the tensioner. This forum can cost you a lot of money on things that we think that you should have for your bike.
Kemo

lol yea but i like to think i have sense enough to know what i need and don't need and i think i need to swap over to the roller chain cam tensioner
i'm going to have the primary apart this winter fixing an oil seal would be a perfect time to install that HB125

Back