free website stats program Cam tensioner replacement cost | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam tensioner replacement cost

r44s

Can you give me the cost you paid for the replacement of the nylon cam chain tensioner at the dealer. I have an estimate for the repacement of the tensioners, new oil pump, new push rods and labor. Wondering what it cost you wherever you are located. Thanks in advanced

If you are just going to replace the tensioner shoes, why does he want you to change out the pump too? If you are going to replace the pump, why not upgrade to the screaming eagle hydraulic cam/plate and oil pump assy? I think I paid 429.00 for the assembly that comes with new tensioners and oil pump. For the cams and tools and bearings and camplate/oil pump, gasket sets, pistons/cylinders for the 95", and re-jetting the carb, it cost me about 1350.00 but I did the work myself. What kind of price were you quoted?

I did my upgrade a few years ago. If memory serves, the parts to upgrade the tensioners to the hydraulic units, a TFI, and a Big Sucker air cleaner, and the necessary tools and fixtures ran me about $1300. I did the work myself. Probably $900 of that was for the tensioner upgrade. Can't say if prices have come down since then, but I recall one forum member relaying to me that he had a dealer in his area that would do the whole job for about what it cost me in parts and materials. If you're not satisfied with the price, shop around. Remember, sometimes when you go to a shop for repairs, and they sense that it's "urgent" as tensioner replacement can sometimes be, the price goes up.

Can you give me the cost you paid for the replacement of the nylon cam chain tensioner at the dealer. I have an estimate for the repacement of the tensioners, new oil pump, new push rods and labor. Wondering what it cost you wherever you are located. Thanks in advanced

Here are a few questions I want to ask... Humor Me please..

What is the Build Date on your 2000 bike? located on the front down tubes... If before or says Dec 15 1999, It is the early model IF it says any month??? and 2000 year it is the second half year..

Now I would suggest that the COST of the KIT that HD sells with all (but the Two caged torrington style cam bearings) are at 429.$$.. a new cam cover gasket. The fully adjustable SE tappered push rods about 140$$ and are GOOD

I would ONLY suggest going this way (KIT) to do the Job Right. Getting RID of the shoes on the older TC motors is a MUST to me...

The labor on above Plus 450$$ plus the pushrods 140$$ mark for parts is what you need to know..

I would guess that 350 to 450 $$ in labor not out of line to do the FULL replacement using your stock cams...

If you are mechanical and have a HD BIG manual on your bike, You can do this your self and save and learn at the same time...

signed....BUBBIE

What type of pushrods and why the oil pump replacement? What mods have you done to the bike? Are you having oil pressure problems? Have you done a cam upgrade? How many miles on the bike?

The dealer sells a kit to do the replacement which includes the plate, new style oil pump, and hydrulic tensioners. Rather than remove the heads to get the push rods out they suggest adjustable push rods. Total cost estimated at $1400 out the door of the dealer. (includes labor)

That's a close estimate even here in WV. The oil pump is just an included benefit with the cam plate kit. Go for it if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. I had a quote of 2000.00 for this upgrade and the 95" kit installed with new cams.

The dealer sells a kit to do the replacement which includes the plate, new style oil pump, and hydrulic tensioners. Rather than remove the heads to get the push rods out they suggest adjustable push rods. Total cost estimated at $1400 out the door of the dealer. (includes labor)

The kit at 429. and the push rods at 140. and cam case gasket... say 600 $$ and 400/500 for the labor= 1000 to 1100$ so I would say 1400 is a little steep!

Hope Chopper might weigh in here as I may be OFF on the labor end...

I just did my 09, putting SE fully adjustable and new SE 255 cams and I don't think the labor should be that High... all the work I did would be the same as your bike labor needed and time the same for installing your stuff as compared to mine....
JMO

signed....BUBBIE

why replace tensioners just to do it again in 20,000 mi.(if you're lucky!) S&S makes some real nice gear driven cams to replace yours with. No chains, no tensioners to wear out!!!

Why not just put in gear driven cams? No plastic, no wear. Then you won't have to replace them again in 20,000 miles! Those tensioners are pure garbage. What a poor design by H-D!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back