free website stats program Cam Tensioner Question?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Tensioner Question??

gil7247

I just purchased my 05 Road Glide. It has 24k miles and has been serviced regularly. My question is should I be concerned about tensioner failure as I don't see from the records that they have been replaced. If so I am planning a cam change to the andrews 21g in the near future. I really don't want to go to the gear drive if I can easily change the tensioners when have the new cams put in. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

I just purchased my 05 Road Glide. It has 24k miles and has been serviced regularly. My question is should I be concerned about tensioner failure as I don't see from the records that they have been replaced. If so I am planning a cam change to the andrews 21g in the near future. I really don't want to go to the gear drive if I can easily change the tensioners when have the new cams put in. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Had to have my replaced at 36,000 miles...I have a 04 Road King. One of the fellows we ride with had his fail during a ride. He does have a Screamin Eagle 103...he had 31,000 plus miles. It did considerable damage to the engine because it happen while we were riding. Was a very expensive repair. I wish I would have know when my was replaced that I could have went with a different system. I've found I don't ask enough questions. Heres' the kicker>>I ask them to check it, as I was going out west. It was my 35,000 mile check up(maintenance)..of course we had just returned from the east so i was about 1,100 miles over the 35,000. Any way our friend has his replaced with the gear system. They told him it would be a little noisy...but honestly I can't hear anything differently. Seems HD has a problem with the Tentioners...they need to do something coz if I would not have had bought the extended warranty; it would have been a disaster for me...I just hope the dealer who replaced them... really did do the job and not just say it, and charge my warranty company. Actually I wasn't having a problem its just coz what happen to one of the fellas we ride with had them fail...Sorry seems all my post are too long. I have a hard time explaining anything it seems...lol:bigsmiley25:

Last edited:
My partner had his fail on his RG while on a ride at 31,000 cost him 2k to repair. so better to have them checked and replaced than wait for em to go. hehe with my luck it would be in the middle of no-where :D

With 24K on the bike, it's definitely time to consider checking them. They don't seem to follow any particular pattern. The earlier ones seemed to last longer but some have gone out in 20K and others lasted 80K with no problems. I say check them at about 20-25K to get an idea of wear patterns and every 20 after that once the pattern is established.

With 24K on the bike, it's definitely time to consider checking them. They don't seem to follow any particular pattern. The earlier ones seemed to last longer but some have gone out in 20K and others lasted 80K with no problems. I say check them at about 20-25K to get an idea of wear patterns and every 20 after that once the pattern is established.

Glider...what do you think ..are should I ask whats your opinion on the gear type system tensioners...are what ever they are called?..I trust your opinion!....

If you are referring to the gear drive cams, they are good. You'll get a bit of noise out of them over the chain drives because of the gears themselves but they eliminate the problematic tensioner and the problems associated with them.

If the run out on the crank is excessive the gear drives will not be the best choice. They will be much noisier then..

Hello,
I changed my tensioners at 73k, the front one was worn down pretty good, could have gone another 5-10k, but that would have been pushing it. i would think you would be okay. it is not hard to take the cover off and look at them, would cost you a gasket.

That's great mileage for the tensioner. I would like to figure out where the differences are that some go in 15K and others last almost the life of the bike.

Hello, sometimes i wonder what is bad, i think there are real problems out there with the tensioners, but more people trying to sell gear drives, or justifying doing it. mine 73k, they are not that hard to change, did mine myself, stuck with stock push rods.does not take that much longer, and you never have to worry about the push rod getting loose, plus stronger.

Bill

Back