free website stats program Cam Tensioner Change on a 2004 Classic TC-95 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Tensioner Change on a 2004 Classic TC-95

So a bit of an update. I got her apart so I can see the tensioner shoes.
(The worst part was tearing off the stock exhaust headers, since I am putting on V & H true duals at the same time. "Slip-on" joints? Yeah, right!)
Anyhow the tensioners are not nearly as bad as I feared.
The inside one shows very little wear from what I can see.
The outer one is worn about half way through the pad thickness.
So I am leaning toward just replacing the outer and putting it back together.
Since they have lasted this many years, I should be good to go for several more years.
This will avoid the need to disturb the pushrods etc and I can get her back together fairly fast. It's a compromise to be sure, but it's simple.
Any comments?

Rod

Nothing wrong with your plan at all. Just be sure to open her up every 5-10K to keep an eye on those tensioners. If they completely disintegrate you'll have a bigger problem. If you keep them replaced, who knows how long it will run. My .02

Nothing wrong with your plan at all. Just be sure to open her up every 5-10K to keep an eye on those tensioners. If they completely disintegrate you'll have a bigger problem. If you keep them replaced, who knows how long it will run. My .02

I agree with Bodeen on this, just keep a close check on the tensioners.

That will be my plan. I will open her up every other year or so and check them out.
Thanks all!

Rod

Got her done yesterday.
It's not easy to r&r the tensioners without removing the two sprockets and the chain, but it can be done.
Back up and running just fine.
Thanks for all the help!

Rod

One strange thing I found regarding the torque spec for the exhaust flange nuts where they attach to the cylinders.
The manual says 90-120 inch lbs; but I could not get anything more than about 75 inch lbs. I was afraid to keep on tightening for fear of stripping the studs out.
Anyone else notice this?

Rod

Back