free website stats program Cam Tensioner Change on a 2004 Classic TC-95 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Tensioner Change on a 2004 Classic TC-95

Rod Stewart

Hi Guys;
I am getting ready to inspect and likley change my cam chain tensioners, which have close to 40K miles on them.
My question: Other than the great writeup by TQuentin on doing his, is there any other recommended reading and/or suggestions for doing this job?

I have SE 203 cams that were installed at the same time as the big bore 95" kit, but otherwise, it is stock.
I will likely get the adjustable pushrod kit so as to avoid having to pull the top end apart.

Thanks for any advice.

Rod

T Q did a Bang up job on this one, I would only add have a manual handy and Good Luck:s

You may want to consider the tensioner upgrade to hydraulics with the oil pump upgrade also.I don't know HD's part #. This will bring it up to the '07 and later setup.

I would also suggest the upgrade. The job is pretty straight forward.
Were the inner bearings replaced when the cams were installed? If not I would replace them and the outer rear cam bearing.
If you cannot find the tappet block alignment pins to align the oil pump, 1/4-20 flathead screws will work.

Thanks for the thoughts all.
So is this the roller chain upgrade kit that I read about?
Anyone know about what this costs?

Rod

Thanks for the thoughts all.
So is this the roller chain upgrade kit that I read about?
Anyone know about what this costs?

Rod

Depends on where you buy.
I bought mine from Tri County H-D
Quick install push rods $118
Cam plate kit $399
Spacer kit $16
Inner bearings $15
Outer bearing $20
Don't buy the $120 gasket kit, O-rings come with the push rods, and you only need the cam cover gasket, $7

Thanks for all the info so far. Very good stuff to know.

One more question: The manual shows an HD tool to lock the primary chain sprockets together for tightening and removing the sprocket bolts.
Any ideas for a workaround if you don't have the tool?

Thanks,
Rod

If you go to georges-garage.com for tools on the 99-06 TC it gives you the tools.You will need the locking tool,Inner cam bearing remover,inner cam bearing installer,outer cam bearing remv./installer,& oil pump alignment screws.
I recently got a couple of these tools from them and was very pleased.Mine were for '07 and later because I have a 2012. You can call them for any additional tools.They are also a sponsor.
tourbox

Thanks for all the info so far. Very good stuff to know.

One more question: The manual shows an HD tool to lock the primary chain sprockets together for tightening and removing the sprocket bolts.
Any ideas for a workaround if you don't have the tool?

Thanks,
Rod

A piece of 1X or 2x lumber jammed in the chain works every time. Here some pretty nice tools for the price.

Harley Davidson Tools

Back