free website stats program Cam sensor to Coil question | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam sensor to Coil question

fpd4308

From the cam sensor I have a green wire, a black wire and a white wire. They look like, prior to disassembly, they were originally run to the coil. my question is. which wires go to the + side of the coil and which to the -

Thanks

l. my question is. which wires go to the + side of the coil and which to the -

Thanks

I would think neither. Can not see why cam sensor wires would be going to the coil. If the cam sensor was hall effect, the reference voltage is usually +5 volts not +12... I would not be guessing on something like that. Cross check it to a schematic.

I don't have a schematic because I am putting back together a custom chopper with a custom wiring harness. Guess I'll have to do somemore searching around.
WAP.gif

I don't know what type of cam sensor was used in '96 but most 3 wire sensors are hall effect sensors. 1 wire will be ground, 1 wire is 5 volt power source, and 1 wire is sensor output or logic output that will go to the ECM or solid state counter.

Those wires really have no business being around a coil. You could easily destroy that sensor if hooked up improperly. Searching out a schematic of original configuration would be the safe way..
Just use the parts of diagram that will apply to what you now have.

It looks like it is actually a 4 wire cam sensor as there is a red wire that has been rolled up and taped as if it is not to be used. I am really at a loss on this one. The rest of the bike is wired up with the exception of these three wires which appear to have been intentional run to the coil. I have searched tons of wiring diagrams and with the exception of the factory diagram I can not find one with the cam sensor even shown. I guess this is the part where I get a bigger hammer...just kidding

What I would suggest is to get a manual for the year bike that the engine fits or came from if it's not new and that will have the wiring schematics in it. In the long run it will be much cheaper than wiring something incorrectly and doing damage.

I appreciate everyones help. Glider I do have the manual for the motor (1996 80" evo) the problem is the wiring is a very basic chopper setup so the diagram in the manual really doesnt apply. My wiring is basically key ignition, push button starter, coil, voltage regulator, 30 amp breaker, 20 amp breaker, 15 amp breaker, headlight, tail/brakelight. There is no ignition module or anything like that. The only hold up is this darn Cam position sensor. When I reassembled the bike I put the custom made wiring back into its original positions and everything pretty much fell into place except that there is the three wires with circular connectors on them that run over to where the coil is located. The green wire has a larger connector that perfectly fits the bolt that mounts the coil to the frame. The black and white wire have smaller connectors that perfectly fit the coil post. Its seems as if they were setup to go there just trying to figure out how. I saw on the stock wiring diagram that the CPS wires run into a massive wiring harness which then runs to one of the coil posts. the other coil post then runs to the battery. Really has me wondering.

Thanks again for all the advice

There is no ignition module or anything like that.

If the output wires of the cam sensor went to a module or black box of some kind that you are no longer using, then you can't use the cam sensor anymore.

The only reason to use a cam sensor is if it was important to separate TDC of compression from TDC of overlap.

If your not using a ignition module anymore, how will you trigger your spark.
A cam sensor needs some kind of logic module, black box or ecm to interpret the signal. You can't wire in a cam sensor to a basic points, battery, coil, switch set-up.

I finally figure it out. Someone asked me, "why dont you take the cover off and see what brand the cam sensor is" I took the cover off and it is actually a Spyke dual fire super comp ignition. I went to their website and it shows exactly how to wire it. Funny how you get so focused on something that you overlook the obvious. Thanks for all the help.

Doug

Back