free website stats program cam sensor melting??? | Harley Davidson Forums

cam sensor melting???

hdfozz

Hello, everybody...New member here. My question is...I have a 1998 fxstc 1340 evo..well I have what looks like melted tan glue running down the bottom of the cam nose cone,from where the sensor wire comes out of the cone.Has anybody experienced anything like this?I havent taken it apart yet to see what it could be,trying to get an idea what I may need to get to repair it so that I will not have much down time.Thanks for any ideas, HDFOZZ

Sounds like water intrusion diluting some oil leaking past the seal...all coming out of the cam nose cone (which should be dry behind there if memory serves). :newsmile091:

NewHD is correct it should be dry, but you can get some condensation behind the cover. This may be what you are seeing.

Welcome to the forum hdfozz, take the five screws out and pop the cover off, if there's oil in the compartment then you need a new seal, it can be replaced without pulling the nose cone.
Only way to know for sure is to inspect the compartment.

Thanks for the replies,I will be checking it out this weekend,it is definitly not oil and water mixed,it is though a rubber compound has melted,I'm thinking it could be the rotor,...I'll find out this weekend. Thanks again..HDFOZZ

Wondering has the nose cone ever been off this motor? May be some sealer like Permatex that has melted and oozed out?

No the nose cone hasnt been off...I took the sensor plate off tonight and the problem is the altitude senor insulating rubber gel has melted and running down the harness out onto the bottom of the cone....Harley Parts Dept. here I come!I'm going to try my best to buy only the parts I need!!LOL HD

I have the same problem. What I found was the epoxy/compound around the circuit board on the camshaft sensor melted out! Its the weather proofing compound. Why it melted out? Don't know. 30,900 miles.

roadking78 is correct. You will need to replace the unit, then re-time your Ignition. There are little marks on the plate that you can use as a starting point. Use a timing light for final timing.
tourbox

Back