free website stats program Cam selection | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam selection

CalgaryBikeBum

Well decided to go with 103 build and stroker flat top pistons. Stock heads (for now), updated hydraulic cam tensioner setup. Decided to go with SE 44mm carb and intake too. :D:D:D But I'm having trouble deciding on cam. I am about 300 lbs and wife is about 105 before we even load bags up. We live near mountains so always going up and down hils. Was thinking andrews tw21 ??? Whats the opionion.

CBB,

Sounds like you are definitely beefing up the BEAST! I went with the Andrews Products 21N grind as part of my roller chain conversion. I wanted more torque especially in the lower rpm range. The 21s are considered a "mild" cam, but definitely more to it than the stock grind.

Are you sticking with your stock cam support plate? If so, then the TW21 are the right replacement cams. I would suggest replacing the bearings in the plate, as well as the roller bearings in the case (go with the Torringtons).

If you are changing out the support plate, make sure which cams you need: the TW21s or the 21N. The latter are for the support plates that DO NOT use the outer bearings, and use an inside roller chain.

In any event, I think the new oil pump is a good move with the hydraulic tensioners. Depending on which kit you go with, you will either use the silent chain on the inside, or a roller chain there too. See here:

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

Here is the Andrews Products info:

Andrews Products - Information Instruction Downloads

TQ

Last edited:
Hi TQ
Yes hoping to get her pulling hard. Should have been done in winter but didn't hear knock till spring and it's not getting better. (good excuse to move up to 103). I kind of ride above 2200 most of the time (mostly highway 2up riding) but heard the tw21 was a good cam for that? All around a good cam? The hydraulic adjust plate i'm ordering uses pressed in bearings rather then the N style much like the old style plates . You must have gotten the later model cam plate? At least the local HD dealer told me that the hyd plate from hd has bearings in it? (HAHAHAH old style..was all new to me last year) . Amazing how fast we learn when we dig in). I ordered all the proper tools for crank work from Georges' Garage. That guy is cool to talk to and very helpful. And even better his tools are like a piece of art. Proud to have them in my toolbox. :)

Right. Yes, I have the newer style plate with no bearings. Hence, the 21N. I like the result of my conversion, and the performance I have with these cams. But I am definitely a conservative rider at least on the UC. I rarely get the rpms up over 4k. Most of my riding is back and forth to work with half on the highway, and half on surface roads.

Kemo went with the 26 grind. Andrews says that pulls from 1800-5200. The 21 grind is 1700-4800.

You might fire off a note to Chopper and get his input based on what you want to do with your bike, and your riding conditions.

TQ

Back