free website stats program cam selection | Harley Davidson Forums

cam selection

00BUCKSHOT

i'm going to go ahead and start getting parts together to do my cam tensioner
upgrade this winter and i can't decide witch grind cam i want/need it will be an andrews cam either a 888112G,888121G,888126G i'm leaning toward the 26G anybody who has past experience with any of these cams please give me your opinion on them thanks,john

i'm going to go ahead and start getting parts together to do my cam tensioner
upgrade this winter and i can't decide witch grind cam i want/need it will be an andrews cam either a 888112G,888121G,888126G i'm leaning toward the 26G anybody who has past experience with any of these cams please give me your opinion on them thanks,john

I put the 21 grind in mine, but I think Kemo put the 26 in his. Now the "G" is for the gear drive. You will want the "N" set for the roller chain conversion.

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/2008-catalog.pdf

TQ

Last edited:
When I did the roller chain conversion on my '99 Ultra, I went with an Andrews 26N cam, and am very pleased with it. Comes on about 1800 and gives good power and torque to about 4000.

The 26 is a good choice for the "lighter" Dyna; the 21 would be better suited for a bagger. There are two ways to convert to the later roller chain/hydraulic tensioner setup. PN 25284-08 conversion kit will allow you to stick with gear drive if you prefer. TQ has posted the link to the other way which requires the N cams. IMHO, the N cam conversion is the way to go. You don't have to be concerned about setting up the gear drives to minimize noise, no pressing on of cam gears or pressing bearings into the cam plate. It's just a really easy install, particularly if you decide to replace cams in the future; a piece of cake.

Like TQ said I did the 26N in my E/G. I did my buddies R/K and we used the
21's If you read TQ's link it will really help you out. There is a fellow I know that can really set you up with a complete parts package. If you are interested P/M me and I will give you his contact info. TQ used him and my buddy used him as well as myself. Great guy to deal with.

sorry i posted G i intend on the roller chain convertion
only thing that has me concerned is when i here people talk about shiming the cams?why do they need shimming how do you know how much to shim them?

sorry i posted G i intend on the roller chain convertion
only thing that has me concerned is when i here people talk about shiming the cams?why do they need shimming how do you know how much to shim them?

Not sure what they are talking about. In the kit you get from Herko, and maybe the OEM conversion kit (I think it is a Screamin' Eagle kit), you'll get some washers/spacers of different thickness to use to ensure that the sprockets on the outside of the plate are aligned. This is a piece of cake. Just mount the sprockets and use a straight edge across the face of the sprockets and a feeler gauge to measure any offset. Adjust by using a thicker or thinner washer/spacer as required. That is all I can think of in terms of shimming anything.

TQ

I was originally concerned with the cam bearings grenading. Then I read about the cam chain tensioner pads breaking up into little bits. After doing the research here it seemed the way to go was to do the complete conversion. There is an upgraded oil pump, cam plate, hydraulic tensioners, a smoother cam chain and I went with the Harley "B" lifters and the Screaming Eagle E-Z install pushrods to save on removing the heads. All new fasteners were used and cam chain lube, cam spacers and loctite were provided. The shims were the same ones referred to by TQuentin1 and it is as simple as going up in thickness until the sprockets are aligned. Yes you pay a little more because extra shims are provided but it saves you time and gas driving to the stealers. I went with the 21N cams because that is what was suggested by the person who put the kit together. I ride a '99 RK. I also put in a Techlusion TFI. The bike has more torque and snap rolling on the throttle. I don't know why anyone would call it a "baby" cam. Me and a buddy who has an 08 Street Glide with engine work did a roll on at 60 mph and I was still on his behind at 105! He said he didn't have it pinned though!

Thanks again Kemo for the space and assistance and hospitality:D

Last edited by a moderator:
wew this makes me feel allot better,i just kept hearing "shims for cams included" and i was like huh why in the world would you need to shim a camshaft! but aliening the sprockets now thats understandable lol

Back