free website stats program Cam Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Replacement

zoood

Product Contributor
Im about to put a new wood's W6H cam on my Ultima 113. Ive replaced cams in my evos before. However. I never did any with adjustable push-rods. The Ultima has adjustable push rods. Im seeing where people have been saying to find TDC. Im lost at this. Without the push rods in there. How can I be sure to find TDC for each cylinder?

zoood

How can I be sure to find TDC for each cylinder?

zoood

You can put anything (a pencil) on top of the intake lifter. Crank the engine by hand. After the intake lifter goes back down to its base circle, the piston is approaching TDC on the compression stoke.

Cant I just locate TDC by looking in the timing plug hole on the other side of the engine?

Cant I just locate TDC by looking in the timing plug hole on the other side of the engine?

Sure if you can see it, and keep in mind the hole is worth about 5 degrees of timing

A who?

It's like a dial indicator that screws into the plug hole. Not a very common tool to find. It has an arm that contacts the piston and a dial on the outer face that corresponds with the arm movement.

Looks like this one but they come in different configurations for the application.

TDC%202.JPG

Wait a minute. Are you trying to find TRUE TDC or just TDC of compression. If you need TRUE TDC, that requires a piston stop and degree wheel.

Yes, no. You could be on the wrong stroke. I do both of what Glider and Hoople said. A straw in a spark plug hole, and something on the cam or lifter, makes sure I'm on the correct stroke.

Back