free website stats program Cam plate/tuner ??? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam plate/tuner ???

UPDATE: Alive She Cried!

All went pretty well. The backlash on the cam gears was about .0005 and installed all I kept thinking is that it felt like a swiss watch movement. The outer gears had a backlash of .0005, .0006, .001 & .0006. So I was feeling pretty good/lucky with the fitment. By the way the Andrews gear kit were S&S gears.
While adjusting the pushrods, the lifters bled down fast. I didn't need to wait more than a couple minutes before I could work on the next one. Maybe because they were new..? (S&S 33-5350)
I'm not sure if this is the correct way but I left the plugs out attached to the wires and grounded the plugs, then three 5 to 10 second turn overs to attempt to prime the new oil pump and start to get some oil upstairs before I fired up the motor. AGAIN I'm not sure about this procedure. Maybe someone will inject some wisdom here.

Anyway she started right up and sounded GOOD! :D

I still need to install the EJK 3 (Dillion @ Doebeck recomened the 3.0 vs the 3.5 for my set up, I can also bypass the 3.0 by just disconnecting the ground wire which I liked).

Well I need to wait for spring for a test drive but anticipating all good.
I'll give another update then.

And I appreciate everbodies help & input here. It's a great feeling to know someones got your back when you are doing some of this stuff for the first time!

Glad to hear all is well. FYI, gears may be packaged by S&S but Andrews manufactures all gear sets for cam drives.
WAP.gif

i was going gear drive until i checked my runout and figured out i needed a new crank or have mine repaired (.025 runout) so when the SE stroker crank was installed it was showing .0001 runout perfect for a gear drive but then i got worried 40,000 miles from now if i had .007 runout then what?chewed up gears?so i went with the SE hydraulic kit with S&S 510 cams.now my guess is since you only have .0026 runout you don't abuse you engine and most likely the runout will prob be right through the life of the engine.

Holy D:
It's not a matter of these cranks getting more runout with miles or a little abuse (maybe some bearing wear but not the press of the crank itself moving around). Some are junk straight from the factory. Any good crank IMHO shouldn't be more than.001.
To kind of answer your question, I'm not worried about it. :D

Glad to hear all is well. FYI, gears may be packaged by S&S but Andrews manufactures all gear sets for cam drives.
WAP.gif

Thanks Dolt:
I assumed from reading the Andrews gear drive cam page, and I quote "Andrews gear drive camshafts are available to run with S & S gear drives" that the gears were in fact made by S & S.

It would make more sense that Andrews actually makes the gears for S & S and therefore calls it out that way.

I am going to stand corrected on this one. :worthy

Holy D:
It's not a matter of these cranks getting more runout with miles or a little abuse (maybe some bearing wear but not the press of the crank itself moving around). Some are junk straight from the factory. Any good crank IMHO shouldn't be more than.001.
To kind of answer your question, I'm not worried about it. :D

Thanks Dolt:
I assumed from reading the Andrews gear drive cam page, and I quote "Andrews gear drive camshafts are available to run with S & S gear drives" that the gears were in fact made by S & S.

It would make more sense that Andrews actually makes the gears for S & S and therefore calls it out that way.

I am going to stand corrected on this one. :worthy

Not nit-picking, just don't want you to be mis-informed. The gears are even listed in Andrews catalog with S&S part numbers but if you ever have a quality issue with a set of those "S&S" gears, guess who you will deal with to resolve those issues?? :s FYI, the crank on my '05 FXSTD was a .0025 when I decided to go gear drive five years back. 15K miles since (out of the country for two years) without issues and the gears to whine a bit but still not as noisey as the OEM chains.:D

I am just glad to hear that all went well and hope you will keep us posted when spring rolls around.

Back