free website stats program Cam Plate Questions | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Plate Questions

I found the picture that I thought I remembered. It is not quite what I thought. The picture is on page 464 (P/N 25282-11) of the 2014 H-D Parts & Accessories catalog. It does seem to have a replaceable plain bearing in it, but the bearing carries the end of the pinion shaft and not the cam shafts.

:s This is not a bad design IMO as long as the crank runs true they should hold up good

Bodeen: This seems to be the same plate as used on 2007 up. And yes, the upgrades are dream material, unfortunately my wallet wakes me up!

BigAl66: Any issues so far from re-use of lifters? the ones on mine have only 18K on them. And yes, I have planned on using adjustable pushrods. I too, share the same ideal on being able to do this with help and advice, as $ is tight these days. I plan on starting this project at the end of this month, and I would like to take you up on the tool offer when that time comes.

01rk: Did you use roller chains on both sides or one roller and a reuse of the morse chain on the inner?

Jennmarr: This is what brought me to the question of why was the roller/taper bearings deleted in place of plain bearing, and why would the SE plate still retain the roller/taper bearing. I know the SE stuff is supposed to be the "better" stuff, so wasn't sure if it was an actual thing or just marketing by HD. I have seen a plate with bronze bushings on all three holes, black in colour. And if the plain bearing on aluminum is good, why still the bronze bushing on the crank hole. Questions like this is what made me start this thread.

And I would also like to extend a big thank you to all who have responded thus far on this thread, the information has made it much easier to understand.

Would the lifters have to be reinstalled in the same holes? or since they are going to be running on a different cam anyway would it matter?

I would put them back in, in the orientation in which they came out. May not be necessary but I that's way I would do it.

Bodeen answered for me and i noted that in my walkthrough. I laid them on a clean rag on my workbench in the same pattern they came out. Rears on the left, fronts right and inners above the outers as if you were looking at them from the side view of the motor. The oiling hole on the lifter body will help with which direction the were originally running in also.
WAP.gif

If reusing lifters ALWAYS put them back in the same holes, They wear in the blocks a way like any other wear item

Cool. I knew that flat tappets always went into same holes but wasn't sure on the rollers. gathering part numbers to order all this stuff and soon to get to it.

Put them back in the lifter bore they came from if you remembered which one went where but if you didn't, don't lose any sleep over it. Doesn't matter which way the oil hole faces; the oil will go into the passage whether the oil hole faces in or out. As they say, it's not rocket science.

01rk: Did you use roller chains on both sides or one roller and a reuse of the morse chain on the inner?
No, the kit comes with the outer chain only. I did not change the cams and the inner shoe was bearly worn with 50+k on it.
The kit come with the plate, oil pump, sprokets and chain.
The cam plate is an alloy and goes on the counter shaft with no bearing.
The bearings for the cams are an upgrade from the stock.

Back