free website stats program Cam plate install | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam plate install

Billua

Hello, due to this excellent forum, I am installing SE 255 Cams in my ride.

I have come across one issue that I would like to get an opinion on.

When installing the cam plate with a new oil pump O ring and making sure the other 2 o rings were in the proper position, I noticed that I could not close the approximate 1/8 inch gap on the left side on the case/cam plate junction.

I looked and all seemed fine. I threaded the cam bolts to torque via the service manual.

The bolts on the left side took very little pressure to snug the cam plate to the case...So, I proceeded with installation. I figured this was just the pump O ring needed a little pressure to seat..

Does this seem normal, or do I need to remove and look for something?

Thanks!

P.S Inner cam bearings installed with ease and depth was triple checked via service manual specs..

I am thinking that the oil pump nipple did not route through the O ring and the nipple might pushed the O ring of location
Ken

Thanks Ken!

Just to be sure, I removed the cam plate again this morning as it was only a 3 minute job to do so now vice 3 hours later.

What I found was that the O rings were in perfect shape and that the resistance was just from the new O ring which was still good.

So, I added more assembly lube to the cams and bearings, made sure the O ring had plenty of oil on it and slid it back in.

Same deal, little resistance but, this time it popped right into place when i put a little pressure on it.

I was glad that the initial install was correct, but being as this is my first time, wanted to make sure all was well!

Pushrod install next.

Cheers

Thanks Ken!

Just to be sure, I removed the cam plate again this morning as it was only a 3 minute job to do so now vice 3 hours later.

What I found was that the O rings were in perfect shape and that the resistance was just from the new O ring which was still good.

So, I added more assembly lube to the cams and bearings, made sure the O ring had plenty of oil on it and slid it back in.

Same deal, little resistance but, this time it popped right into place when i put a little pressure on it.

I was glad that the initial install was correct, but being as this is my first time, wanted to make sure all was well!

Pushrod install next.

Cheers

A little lube goes a long way, I like lubriplate as assembly lube, on O rings I use Napa Silglide, it is very user friendly for all rubber parts:s

Back