free website stats program Cam Pinion Gear replacement or not? | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Pinion Gear replacement or not?

Am doing a cam replacement in my EVO, and was wondering if you you guys that did a cam swap replaced your pinion gear or not. I'm installing a Screaming Eagle SEH-1 cam and was wondering if i need to get a matched pinion gear or will the stock one work. Thanks for any input.

Am doing a cam replacement in my EVO, and was wondering if you you guys that did a cam swap replaced your pinion gear or not. I'm installing a Screaming Eagle SEH-1 cam and was wondering if i need to get a matched pinion gear or will the stock one work. Thanks for any input.

There is a NOTE in my book that indicates the pinion gear and cam gear are color coded based on their pitch diameters. You should only replace the cam or the pinion with the same color. If they are mis-matched, you may have lifter like noise or excessive gear whine.

The cam gear and pinion gear can be measured using 0.108 in. pins. If the new camshaft is NOT color coded, and there is no spec provided with the camshaft (this is unlikely - in fact the info with the cam should tell you what pinion to use), then you will have to measure it with the pins to determine what color it is. Then you can get the appropriate pinion gear to run with that cam.

TQ

There is a NOTE in my book that indicates the pinion gear and cam gear are color coded based on their pitch diameters. You should only replace the cam or the pinion with the same color. If they are mis-matched, you may have lifter like noise or excessive gear whine.

The cam gear and pinion gear can be measured using 0.108 in. pins. If the new camshaft is NOT color coded, and there is no spec provided with the camshaft (this is unlikely - in fact the info with the cam should tell you what pinion to use), then you will have to measure it with the pins to determine what color it is. Then you can get the appropriate pinion gear to run with that cam.

TQ
T Q is #1 on this and dont forget to check the end play:s

T Q is #1 on this and dont forget to check the end play:s

On my 97 EVO when i went to a big Cam, I also used the pins to measure and did use the correct color-coded gear... A Must!!!

Jack is right-on with the cam end play , as I had to make a special washer to take up the end play... Too long ago to remember more...

signed....BUBBIE

Back