free website stats program Cam noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam noise

I have a problem with my 07 RK. I was riding on the way to work and change the oil. I heard a pop on the right side of the bike. The bike has always had vibration in the floor boards. After the pop the right side smoothed out but not the left. Now when I lug it a little it sounds like a bearing rubbing. If you don't lug it it sounds okay. I have talked to the service writer at the local HD and they tell me it is a cam bearing. After talking to them they tell me that the case maybe bad. Any advice?:( (Pulling whats left of hair out!!)

Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to be leary of a dealer who has surmised a diagnosis of a bad cam bearing or worse a defective case without taking it apart.....or is it there and they have it apart and that's what they've found? If it's apart, and the inner cam bearing was the culprit, then it is possible it's damaged the case journal and that would require tearing the whole thing down and replacing the right side case. I see a very large bill if that's the case (no pun intended). If so, I hope you have some sort of warranty or extended one.

Welcome to the forum. My advice would be to be leary of a dealer who has surmised a diagnosis of a bad cam bearing or worse a defective case without taking it apart.....or is it there and they have it apart and that's what they've found? If it's apart, and the inner cam bearing was the culprit, then it is possible it's damaged the case journal and that would require tearing the whole thing down and replacing the right side case. I see a very large bill if that's the case (no pun intended). If so, I hope you have some sort of warranty or extended one.

No not at dealer or any warranty. I went out and got a 2011 motor to put into this bike. I will pull the old motor down and see how bad it is.

wow a brand new engine?lol guess that will fix it.

I was thinking the same thing. Must be nice to be independently wealthy:D

All kidding aside, I would've at least checked the cam side and looked for anything out of the ordinary like a worn tensioner or something out of sorts with the oil pump before springing for another motor. I'd like to preserve the original motor in my bike for a numbers matching thing but if I we're to drop an aftermarket motor it wouldn't bother me as much. A little investigating or taking it to a good independent wrench may have saved you a few $$$$ and could've been an easy or less expensive fix.....JMO.

I was thinking the same thing. Must be nice to be independently wealthy:D

All kidding aside, I would've at least checked the cam side and looked for anything out of the ordinary like a worn tensioner or something out of sorts with the oil pump before springing for another motor. I'd like to preserve the original motor in my bike for a numbers matching thing but if I we're to drop an aftermarket motor it wouldn't bother me as much. A little investigating or taking it to a good independent wrench may have saved you a few $$$$ and could've been an easy or less expensive fix.....JMO.

Not wealthy:) Just not sure witch would be cheaper. That same HD dealer told me that the case was about $1100.00 so I went to the net to answers and found a different engine. I am keeping the old engine to repair later. Could not see this bike just seating. Am wishing I had found this forum first, it would have saved some money.

wow a brand new engine?lol guess that will fix it.

Not quite new. I guy I bought it from told me it was pulled out of a new bike and never been run. When I got it here a real harley tech looked at it and said the case had been opened up. Soooo I get a rebuilt 2011 FLHX motor. Now I get to rebrake in this engine.

Not quite new. I guy I bought it from told me it was pulled out of a new bike and never been run. When I got it here a real harley tech looked at it and said the case had been opened up. Soooo I get a rebuilt 2011 FLHX motor. Now I get to rebrake in this engine.

You mean you're going to rebuild the motor you just bought? Or are you thinking that the motor you just bought (along with a lie) has already been rebuilt? If the motor you have in the bike now is/was running, you need to do some investigation before you pull it out of the frame. If the cam bearing is shot it may or may not have damaged anything. Open up the cam chest and take a look, can't hurt. If you can post us some pix of the cam chest we should be able to give you some suggestions on which way to head. I personally would not take the word of a service manager shooting from the hip.

What was rebuilt and why? Any paper work to back it up?

You mean you're going to rebuild the motor you just bought? Or are you thinking that the motor you just bought (along with a lie) has already been rebuilt? If the motor you have in the bike now is/was running, you need to do some investigation before you pull it out of the frame. If the cam bearing is shot it may or may not have damaged anything. Open up the cam chest and take a look, can't hurt. If you can post us some pix of the cam chest we should be able to give you some suggestions on which way to head. I personally would not take the word of a service manager shooting from the hip.
New motor was sold to me as a NEW never fired motor. It was pulled out of a new bike and replaced with a 120 that was seating on the shelf. I though it was a great deal so I bought it. When I got it here a friend took one look at it and said that it was rebuilt. (New silicone between cases.) My friend said it was still worth the money I paid for it.
Motor in bike was running. I pulled it out to check it out and see what was wrong with it.(learning hard way!!)

Back