free website stats program cam needle bearing failure | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cam needle bearing failure

I wasnt planning on doing anything to my engine, I have the newer style engine allready. its an 06 dyna. I was just reading about these cam bearings and wondering about this issue on the new ones.

New ones don't seem to have the issues of the old ones

The 06 Dyna has the newer hydraulic style cam chain setup so you shouldn't need any upgrades. The 06 Dyna was the test bed for the 07 line up.

Hi All... I have an 06 EGC that just experienced a rear cam bearing failure that resulted in a total engine loss. So, from my perspective, the cam bearing failure seems to still be an issue. I am at a loss. How could I have seen this coming? The engine ran like a champ with no noise or other indication that I had a problem. When it went, it went FAST.

R

Aside from a different sound coming from the engine, it's a difficult thing to see coming on. You may hear a whining of sorts that wasn't present before indication an impending bearing problem but if you don't know what to listen for, most wouldn't hear it.

Is this a common failure in a 2000 FXDL Twin Cam motor?

I have an '03 UC that had the outside tensioner nuke. Luckily shut it down quickly and no major damage. The replacement was pretty worn out when I did the conversion. The inside one that I HAD NOT changed was about to go! Some of the other guys here have had problems too. So "common" is hard to define. But I would suggest pulling the nose cone (cam cover) and checking both tensioner shoes.

TQ

My question is the same as pork chops are the 06 dynas still using the INA inner cam bearings, I am planning a tear down this winter and want to replace them if this is an issue.

I had lost a needle bearing while replacing cam bearings. I did not want to split the case if I could help it. I found that Pingel makes a screen kit for the scavenge sides of the oil pump. It was a easy install and saved my engine. Got the bearing out within a day or two. Should have split the case but if you go that far you might as well go bigger.
Good Luck

Back