Cam Help

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by garagman, Nov 10, 2011.

1. garagman

garagman Member

Looking at getting the brake switch replaced this weekend and was thinking about adding 255 cams and tapered rods to see if I can get some low to mid range torque. How do the 255 add up to the rest of the pack?

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

255 S.E. cams - Harley Davidson Community more reads in the self help section:s

3. garagman

garagman Member

Thanks Jack, still feeling my way around....:)

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

You are doing fine Glad to Help when I can Good luck:s

5. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

The SE255, are GOOD for the low end torque and really work well with a 96" motor.

Look at the Intake close number... Stock cams, intake valve closes at 30* and the 255's close at 25*. Making More compression and that = Power.. Yes, Torque on the lower side where a heavy bike usually needs it.

Cams with intake closing Later, like 36/40 are mostly benefitting from HIGHER RPM's and Not for MY 09 FLHR. Higher intake close cams usually require a Increase in compression as they do Loose some compression on the Later closing..

Cams are a give and take....
    Not to be chosen light hearted but that 255 WILL be a good choice IF you are Not a High revving, winding out the motor to 5500 RPM every time out...:swoon

I DO like the HD Slender Tapers for the adjustable pushrods.:D

signed....BUBBIE

6. garagman

garagman Member

Thanks for the help Bubbie, I think I will go this route.

7. Trek

Trek Junior Member

That's what I went with on my 09 with the 103" couldn't be happier.

8. garagman

garagman Member

Thanks Trek, I think I will be satisfied as well. The only thing is I have to wait another week, the dealer could not get me in until next Saturday.

9. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

garageman,

Save :newsmile093: and get your feet wet....:newsmile098:

Not too hard a job to do yourself. Lots of help and plenty to read here on HDT.com..

Just Saying:newsmile036:

signed....BUBBIE

10. mike5511

mike5511 Member

I had never been inside any motor before, and changed my cams myself with no problems and good results, and really enjoyed doing it. I re-used the stock push rods. Well satisfied with the SE 255s.