free website stats program Cam Exchange, Bolt in?? | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Exchange, Bolt in??

I'm sure it has been mentioned and probably checked but after listening to the video. Have the PR's been checked for rubbing the tubes? I agree with the valve train being the noise after listening/watching the video.

Very good call here, will not be the last time this has happened:s

OK, I listened to the video and, wait for it, sounds very much like a valve train lash on one rocker arm. I know it is hard to diagnose noises via a recording but I am betting the noise is in the valve train; you just need to track it down.

Collapse the pushrod covers, pull the plugs, put the trans in 6th and put each piston at TDC on the compression stroke; I am betting you will find some vertical movement in one of the pushrods. If not, replace the lifters, one has collapsed; upgrade to a set of S&S standard lifters. If neither of those eliminates the noise, you will have to go up top and remove the rocker box cover and let the motor idle with the cover off and see where the noise is coming from; I am betting you won't have to do that.

I know, you replaced lifters and don't believe it is a lifter or valve train related but that's where my money is.

I set both cylinders at TDC on compression stroke (one at a time of course) after pulling the plugs (which are clean and look as they should). After giving the lifters a few minutes to bleed down I'm able to turn the PRs with my fingers but absolutely no vertical movement on any of the four. I think I mentioned the push rods are Crane adjustables, I've recently readjusted them per the instructions (0 lash then I think it was 20 flats). I'll change out the lifters and push rods just to be certain with the S&S stuff.
thanks again for your help

Run the checks before you change everything out so you will run down the noise. Nothing wrong with the S&S Quickee pushrods but the SE Tapered Quick Installs are just as good. Don't know what covers you have but if stock, you should purchase new covers to make adjustment easier; adjusting is a real pain with OEM covers. The SE kit, PN 18404-08 includes new covers, clips, O-rings and pushrods for about $135 from an online discount dealer like New Castle, Surdyke, etc. just a suggestion.

Seriously, try to identify the offending pushrod or lifter before swapping everything out.:s

Just saw this before my last post....noted, thanks

Very good call here, will not be the last time this has happened:s

I'm sure it has been mentioned and probably checked but after listening to the video. Have the PR's been checked for rubbing the tubes? I agree with the valve train being the noise after listening/watching the video.

I've checked the PRs for shiny spots or something to indicate a rub. I don't see anything nor do I hear anything with the stethoscope. Thanks for the advice

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you bought the PR's and lifters, it wouldn't hurt to pull the rocker covers as Dolt suggested and have a look/listen. You may discover something that would alleviate buying those items. Cant hurt at this point.

Before you bought the PR's and lifters, it wouldn't hurt to pull the rocker covers as Dolt suggested and have a look/listen. You may discover something that would alleviate buying those items. Cant hurt at this point.

That's good advice, I'll do that....thanks again

That's good advice, I'll do that....thanks again

You should remove the rocker covers after the motor is up to operating temps and have some shop rags handy to catch the oil that will collect in the corner and run down. There won't be a lot of spray like a small block Chevy but more of a drip at the rocker. You won't be able to run it long to avoid more cleanup but you should see/hear the offending rocker arm.

I set both cylinders at TDC on compression stroke (one at a time of course) after pulling the plugs (which are clean and look as they should). After giving the lifters a few minutes to bleed down I'm able to turn the PRs with my fingers but absolutely no vertical movement on any of the four. I think I mentioned the push rods are Crane adjustables, I've recently readjusted them per the instructions (0 lash then I think it was 20 flats). I'll change out the lifters and push rods just to be certain with the S&S stuff. thanks again for your help.

Are you sure you felt no vertical movement at all? It doesn't take much to make a racket. Are you sure you haven't installed an exhaust pushrod on an intake valve or visa versa? Have you checked the inside of the rocker box covers for any witness marks that would show contact between the rocker arms and the cover?

Photos of lifter to lifter cover contact and clearancing.

Attachments

• liftercoverclearancing1.jpg
    liftercoverclearancing1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 23
  • liftercoverclearancing2.jpg
    liftercoverclearancing2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 21
Are you sure you felt no vertical movement at all? It doesn't take much to make a racket. Are you sure you haven't installed an exhaust pushrod on an intake valve or visa versa? Have you checked the inside of the rocker box covers for any witness marks that would show contact between the rocker arms and the cover?

I'm confident that there was no vertical movement in the push rods. I was very careful to put the longer PR on exhaust. The inside of the rocker covers were ground when the big bore kit was installed. I've tried the modeling clay trick....here's something though....I have done as you suggested in the recent past and ran the engine without the covers and I thought I didn't hear the sound. Would make you think it's the cover, right? That was when I used the clay and ground the covers even more. There are no marks on the covers that would indicate something hitting them. I've gone over them with a magnifying glass (literally). Someone said that the absence of the sound with the covers off couldn't be attributed solely to a rocker hitting a cover secondary to sound travel, echo, etc...It was at that point that I vented the covers in a desperation move....no help. I'm looking forward to pulling the covers again and reassessing it from that angle. Remember that the sound spontaneously appeared, not related to any changes in parts, mods, etc. It'll probably be the weekend before I'm able to get at it again. Thanks again so much for your and everyone else's help. Wish I could buy you guys a beer! I'll keep you posted

I'm confident that there was no vertical movement in the push rods. I was very careful to put the longer PR on exhaust. The inside of the rocker covers were ground when the big bore kit was installed. I've tried the modeling clay trick....here's something though....I have done as you suggested in the recent past and ran the engine without the covers and I thought I didn't hear the sound. Would make you think it's the cover, right? That was when I used the clay and ground the covers even more. There are no marks on the covers that would indicate something hitting them. I've gone over them with a magnifying glass (literally). Someone said that the absence of the sound with the covers off couldn't be attributed solely to a rocker hitting a cover secondary to sound travel, echo, etc...It was at that point that I vented the covers in a desperation move....no help. I'm looking forward to pulling the covers again and reassessing it from that angle. Remember that the sound spontaneously appeared, not related to any changes in parts, mods, etc. It'll probably be the weekend before I'm able to get at it again. Thanks again so much for your and everyone else's help. Wish I could buy you guys a beer! I'll keep you posted

Typically the relief in the valve covers is to remove the webbing as shown in the photos; did you relief in all these areas? The noise I hear at the end of the video sounds very much like a rocker arm. Could be contact with cover if not lash in the valve train. Could still be collapsed lifter but I am convinced that the noise is in the valve train.:D

Attachments

• rockerboxrelief-1.jpg
    rockerboxrelief-1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 17
Back