free website stats program Cam Exchange, Bolt in?? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Exchange, Bolt in??

I know this is prob. unrelated but I had a chirp once and it was a tiny rock in my belt sprocket which in turn messed up a lot of teeth in the belt and was causing my chirping.

I didn't remove the lifters but I'm skeptical that a lifter is the problem and here's why. The sound never changed a bit after all the things I've done, including a lifter swap (just happens to be the Comp Cams VThunders that you mentioned). I think if it were a lifter there would be some change in the quality of the sound. The thing that may be helpful to you is that when I'm riding it's pronounced on acceleration. When I decelerate I don't hear it. I recently changed the oil and didn't notice an excessive amount of metal on the plug. Oil pump and head gaskets have been replaced.

In a previous post you indicated that the noise presented at idle and you have described it as a "chirp" which gave cause for me to eliminate detonation as a source of the noise. However, your above statement that the noise presented on acceleration but not on deceleration is symptomatic of detonation. I don't know the particulars of your motor configuration, i.e., bore, head gasket thickness, pistons and tuner/state of tune. But I do know that the 255 cams have very early intake close which can, in certain configurations and lack of a proper tune, can cause detonation. I would be interested to know what your CCP is. Have you run a compression test? What tuner do you have and has the motor been tuned?

If the noise does present at idle, listen at idle with trans in neutral and clutch engaged and disengaged to see if the noise changes.

With everything you have done and checked, I am starting to run out of ideas but do think you should run a compression check.

In a previous post you indicated that the noise presented at idle and you have described it as a "chirp" which gave cause for me to eliminate detonation as a source of the noise. However, your above statement that the noise presented on acceleration but not on deceleration is symptomatic of detonation. I don't know the particulars of your motor configuration, i.e., bore, head gasket thickness, pistons and tuner/state of tune. But I do know that the 255 cams have very early intake close which can, in certain configurations and lack of a proper tune, can cause detonation. I would be interested to know what your CCP is. Have you run a compression test? What tuner do you have and has the motor been tuned?

If the noise does present at idle, listen at idle with trans in neutral and clutch engaged and disengaged to see if the noise changes.

With everything you have done and checked, I am starting to run out of ideas but do think you should run a compression check.

I really appreciate your knowledge and suggestions...I paid extra attention to the sound in response to your specific questions. The sound is obvious at idle in neutral, clutch engaged or disengaged. With transmission engaged in 1st, clutch in, it's the same. Clutch out, it's still there, only change is synchronous with RPMs. Evident in every gear at normal road speed, enhanced on acceleration, dramatically decreased on decel. I should mention that this started many many months ago. 3 yrs ago this summer I rode her 10,000 miles or so from my home in Alabama through the Rockies up into Canada, back down the coast hwy and back through the desert home. 3 week trip of hard riding. The bike performed flawlessly. In the summer of 2013 I rode her to Milwaukee and back for the HD 110th celebration. Again, not a hiccup. Some time after that (if I had to guess, I'd say a few weeks) the sound made it's presence known. No recent mods, no work other than routine stuff. Just showed up and made itself at home. The bike has continued to run like a champ. Never skips, misses, stalls, etc. Through everything that myself and others have done in an attempt to stop it, it's never changed in quality. I spent too much time and money to give up. Sorry to ramble but I hope that this will help you in your very much appreciated attention to my trouble. Oh btw, I had a compression check by the dealer, all normal. Thanks again....Dan

Forgot to say, I have a Dobeck TFI tuner, K&N hi flow filter, Rush slip ons and it has the 103 big bore kit with the 255 cams (just replaced). Cylinders honed 10k over with new Screamin Eagle pistons

OK, I listened to the video and, wait for it, sounds very much like a valve train lash on one rocker arm. I know it is hard to diagnose noises via a recording but I am betting the noise is in the valve train; you just need to track it down.

Collapse the pushrod covers, pull the plugs, put the trans in 6th and put each piston at TDC on the compression stroke; I am betting you will find some vertical movement in one of the pushrods. If not, replace the lifters, one has collapsed; upgrade to a set of S&S standard lifters. If neither of those eliminates the noise, you will have to go up top and remove the rocker box cover and let the motor idle with the cover off and see where the noise is coming from; I am betting you won't have to do that.

I know, you replaced lifters and don't believe it is a lifter or valve train related but that's where my money is. Check it out.:s

OK, I listened to the video and, wait for it, sounds very much like a valve train lash on one rocker arm. I know it is hard to diagnose noises via a recording but I am betting the noise is in the valve train; you just need to track it down.

Collapse the pushrod covers, pull the plugs, put the trans in 6th and put each piston at TDC on the compression stroke; I am betting you will find some vertical movement in one of the pushrods. If not, replace the lifters, one has collapsed; upgrade to a set of S&S standard lifters. If neither of those eliminates the noise, you will have to go up top and remove the rocker box cover and let the motor idle with the cover off and see where the noise is coming from; I am betting you won't have to do that.

I know, you replaced lifters and don't believe it is a lifter or valve train related but that's where my money is. Check it out.:s

Thank you....I'm actually planning to order those very lifters, and a S&S Quickee Push Rod kit. I currently am running the Crane Cam adjustables. Take about a week to get that stuff in. I'll keep you posted...Thanks again!

Thank you....I'm actually planning to order those very lifters, and a S&S Quickee Push Rod kit. I currently am running the Crane Cam adjustables. Take about a week to get that stuff in. I'll keep you posted...Thanks again!

Run the checks before you change everything out so you will run down the noise. Nothing wrong with the S&S Quickee pushrods but the SE Tapered Quick Installs are just as good. Don't know what covers you have but if stock, you should purchase new covers to make adjustment easier; adjusting is a real pain with OEM covers. The SE kit, PN 18404-08 includes new covers, clips, O-rings and pushrods for about $135 from an online discount dealer like New Castle, Surdyke, etc. just a suggestion.

Seriously, try to identify the offending pushrod or lifter before swapping everything out.:s

I'm sure it has been mentioned and probably checked but after listening to the video. Have the PR's been checked for rubbing the tubes? I agree with the valve train being the noise after listening/watching the video.

Back