free website stats program Cam Exchange, Bolt in?? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Exchange, Bolt in??

No, the cam support plate must be removed to get to the cams.

I changed the mounts, forgot to mention that...so....from what's been said here and if I understand the manual, to swap the cams only, I don't need to remove the support plate, just remove the tensioner, swap the cams and ensure that the timing marks line up on reassembly...is that essentially correct?

Please just watch the video on youtube from j&p cycle on twin cam replacement. You will not regret it and it will answer your questions .

I understand your desire to change the cams to eliminate that as a potential source of the noise. After all you have done chasing the noise; I get it but will bet a six pack, the cams are not the source of the noise.

Does the noise change at all in neutral? Does the noise change with the tranny in gear but clutch disengaged? Have you tried a stethoscope searching for the noise?

As for the specifics of a quick in/out cam change; its pretty simple with adjustable pushrods. Collapse the tubes, remove the pushrods, get a pair of those magnet lifter holder so you don't have to remove the lifter blocks, remove the cam cover (catch the oil that will run out), remove the cam plate (with or without the oil pump-your call), swap cams, re-install with timing marks aligned, install the cam plate/oil pump, align the oil pump and reverse the process. Best to have the service manual handy and there are no special tools required.:coffee

Owe you that 6 pack....cam swap and still have the noise....it's going to end up being something bizarre and simple I bet....I'll be kicking my own rear end for not thinking of it...if I can figure out how to do it, I'll try to post an audio file of the motor running so maybe you guys can hear it. Thanks for all the suggestions. The search continues....or perhaps a trade cometh...

Owe you that 6 pack....cam swap and still have the noise....it's going to end up being something bizarre and simple I bet....I'll be kicking my own rear end for not thinking of it...if I can figure out how to do it, I'll try to post an audio file of the motor running so maybe you guys can hear it. Thanks for all the suggestions. The search continues....or perhaps a trade cometh...

Did you inspect the lifter rollers during the cam change. If one freezes up or is in a bind and the roller does not roll smoothly it will "skate" on the cam lobe, it will chirp. Have you changed oil lately and looked for any shiny bits that might be floating around in the oil? Not a hard check and replacement lifters like the Comp Cams VThunder 850-1s are not that expensive. If it is a lifter roller, you need to catch it before something worse develops.

I would also check what happens, if anything to the noise, with the trans in neutral; clutch engaged and not engaged as well as trans in gear, clutch not engaged.:coffee

Other things known to cause chirping.

1. Blown head gasket
2. Throttle body blade
3. Oil pump gerotors

Did you inspect the lifter rollers during the cam change. If one freezes up or is in a bind and the roller does not roll smoothly it will "skate" on the cam lobe, it will chirp. Have you changed oil lately and looked for any shiny bits that might be floating around in the oil? Not a hard check and replacement lifters like the Comp Cams VThunder 850-1s are not that expensive. If it is a lifter roller, you need to catch it before something worse develops.

I would also check what happens, if anything to the noise, with the trans in neutral; clutch engaged and not engaged as well as trans in gear, clutch not engaged.:coffee

I didn't remove the lifters but I'm skeptical that a lifter is the problem and here's why. The sound never changed a bit after all the things I've done, including a lifter swap (just happens to be the Comp Cams VThunders that you mentioned). I think if it were a lifter there would be some change in the quality of the sound. The thing that may be helpful to you is that when I'm riding it's pronounced on acceleration. When I decelerate I don't hear it. I recently changed the oil and didn't notice an excessive amount of metal on the plug. Oil pump and head gaskets have been replaced.

Back