free website stats program Cam Cover | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Cover

postie357

Could be novice question, I want to check the primary chain and cam chain shoe tensioners on my 2000 Road King. Do I need to drain the engine oil to remove the cam cover? I know some oil will drain out. Thanks John

Welcome!

No, you do not have to drain the oil. A little will probably come out when you pull the cover, so make sure you have a oil pan underneath just to catch the 1/4 to 1/2 quart that may come out. You will need to remove the exhaust as well.

postie357,

May I suggest:

Don't be too quick to get a new cam cover gasket.... Gasket usually stays intact on the cover....I have re-used mine (many bikes) many times IF not broken...

Wipe off all (ALL) oil on the cam lip side and on the gasket when installing it back together.... Dry helps not suck/wick oil around the gasket
(no sealers) then install cover... by the book when torquing it down.

welcome.....

Just my way

signed....BUBBIE

postie357,

May I suggest:

Don't be too quick to get a new cam cover gasket.... Gasket usually stays intact on the cover....I have re-used mine (many bikes) many times IF not broken...

As much as I hate to disagree with Bubbie, since he knows a lot more about bikes than I do, for the $6 or $7 that the gasket costs, I'd go ahead and just replace it. But that's just me. I'd hate to get it back together only to find a leak and have to do it all again.

Welcome!

No, you do not have to drain the oil. A little will probably come out when you pull the cover, so make sure you have a oil pan underneath just to catch the 1/4 to 1/2 quart that may come out. You will need to remove the exhaust as well.

When I checked my tensioners on my 2000 Heritage, I didn't have to remove the exhaust. But if you're going to pull the cam plate out you will have to.

As much as I hate to disagree with Bubbie, since he knows a lot more about bikes than I do, for the $6 or $7 that the gasket costs, I'd go ahead and just replace it. But that's just me. I'd hate to get it back together only to find a leak and have to do it all again.

Yes and no, I too like NEW gaskets, but the cam cover is just that now, it no longer has load bearing duties, that said if it makes you feel good I say change it each time JMO

If your just checking the tensioners I suggest leaving the bike on the jiffy stand and not vertical on the lift. This will let the oil stay to the inside of the chest. I also snake a garbage bag between the bottom of the cover and over the frame for any spillage. Another trick I use when changing the oil filter is loosen it till it just starts to hand spin. I then cover it and the filter housing with a one gallon ziplock bag. I use the outside of the bag to slowly spin the filter off an let it drop inside the bag. Absolutely no mess on my frame.

If your just checking the tensioners I suggest leaving the bike on the jiffy stand and not vertical on the lift. This will let the oil stay to the inside of the chest. I also snake a garbage bag between the bottom of the cover and over the frame for any spillage. Another trick I use when changing the oil filter is loosen it till it just starts to hand spin. I then cover it and the filter housing with a one gallon ziplock bag. I use the outside of the bag to slowly spin the filter off an let it drop inside the bag. Absolutely no mess on my frame.

Great idea there! wow, it's amazing the simple stuff that you overlook and someone else vocalizes it, and then now I feel dumb, lol. all those messy oil changes in the past..... grrr....lol.

Back